Support for HDTV resolutions and frame rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for HDTV resolutions and frame rates

Does anyone know what Matrox plans are for HDTV and the G400?

1. Will the G400 get a new Rainbow Runner that decodes HDTV?

2. Does it currently support HDTV 16:9 resolutions which I think are:
    1080x600 p and i
    1280x720 p and i
    1920x1080 i only for now
    all at 32 bit color and 30 fps minimum

3. What else will be needed (besides a 16:9 monitor)?

HDTV is already being broadcast here in Atlanta on a very limited basis, so I would like to know if my next video card purchase will accomodate it with a few upgrades.

I'm just starting to investigate HDTV, so please forgive me if some of my information is inaccurate.

RAB

P.S. I'm sure I'll need something more than my current K6-2 350, or will I?

AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Hi,

I think as HDTV becomes available and cheaper to produce we will see new TV Tuners with HDTV compatibility.
    By simply having oh maybe 2% of the world broadcasting in HDTV won't justify making such TV Tuner card or NLE card for that matter, next generation or third generation cards maybe

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I think that by 11/99 all broadcasts will be required to be HDTV digital format. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Comment

I didn't think it was quite that soon, but I'll look into it tomorrow. I was thinking that all MAJOR U.S. markets (NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, etc.) were required to have simultaneous broadcast of all programing by sometime in 2000 and all markets were to follow in 2001. Finally, around 2002 all broadcasts in the U.S. were to be HDTV in 1280x720 progressive scan. I'll try to look up the FCC scedule tomorrow and post it.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

An HDTV set costs something like 15,000
          when I checked last year. Unless you're
          bill gates doubt you'll have one of
          these

Comment

Well... I think there are 2 or 3 stations in Seattle Washington that broadcast HDTV now... and HDTV's are into the $5-7000 range...

Andrew

Comment

After a little research today, here is what I've found. As it turns out, Digital Television is a huge mess right now. There are different systems for Europe and North America. (I guess no one learned anything from VHS vs. Beta and NTSC vs. PAL.) Digital Televison has something like 18 different broadcast standards on just the North American version. Digital means anything from a new 480 line progressive scan standard all the way up to 1080 line interlaced. Only the 720 line progressive scan and 1080 line interlaced are considered true High Definition Television. The rest are mearly Digital Television.

Apparently, the cable operators hate it and the broadcast channels are only lukewarm to it even though they are getting a huge government handout in the form of new broadcast channels FOR FREE.

The official U.S. schedule is:
              May 99 The 10 largest markets must offer some HDTV (About 5% of broadcast time)
              Nov 99 The 30 largest markets must offer some HDTV
              May 02 All U.S. commercial stations must begin broadcasts of HDTV
              May 03 All U.S. stations, not just commercial, must begin broadcasts
              May 06 All analog broadcast must end.

This, of course is subject to change - a slowdown no doubt. What a mess!! However, some computer manufacturers have started developing Digital receivers for computers, including INTEL, and plan to have them on sale by year end (we will see if that timetable holds up).

OK, I guess my original question might be a bit premature, but I'm getting tired of waiting for a TV picture that looks better than the 1940's standard we are using now.

RAB

Comment

Working...
              X