G200 and conflicting devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 and conflicting devices

Under the device manager in win95 OSR 2.5, it tells me that my G200 has some conflicts:

"Memory Range DF000000 - DFFFFFFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Range DD000000 - DD003FFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    Memory Range DC800000 - DCFFFFFF used by:
    PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge"

Am I not getting optimal performance out of my system because of this, or will it have no real effect? What should I do?
    Thanks,

------------------
    PII 350@392; Asus P2B; 128MB; Mill G200 (8 meg); Seagate 9.1GB; Win95 OSR 2.5

It sounds like you might not have the right drivers installed for the BX chipset under Win95. You should have gotten a driver CD with your Asus P2B. Try installing (or reinstalling) the BX chipset driver from the Asus CD or get the latest version from Intel's site.
    Mark Veneziano

Comment

With Win95, those are normal. It's just that 95 doesn't know any better, so it shows as a conflict. Win98 shows similar resouces sharing, but doen't show them as a "conflict".
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

One more thing, sometimes installing a chipset driver can be a bit hairy. Because all your hardware devices basically originate from the chipset in some way or another, you may find yourself with 2 PCI buses, 2 ISA buses, 4 serial ports, etc. after you install the driver. If this happens, restart windows in safe mode, go to device manager and delete all your devices, and then reboot to redetect them and that should get rid of all duplicates.

In any case, you can plan on a lot of reboots during this process!

Mark Veneziano

Comment

As Kruzin said, under 95 that is normal.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

i have a bh6 mobo, on the disk that came withit there r pci bridge drivers for win95, which cure that problem/niggle, try mobo manufacturers website or the cd to get them, or any good drivers site, hope this helps

[This message has been edited by LeeMG (edited 06-27-99).]

Comment

Thanks for your prompt input everyone. I did some more reseach on the problem and there was a page on the ATI website about the exact same thing. It confirms what Kruzin and Joel said, i.e that under Win95 the "conflict" is normal and can be safely ignored.

Cheers,
              CChuck.

Comment

Well, it may not indicate a problem, but I don't think the device manager should show a "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge", it should show "Intel 82443BX Pentium(r) II Processor to PCI bridge" and "Intel 82443BX Pentium(r) II Processor to AGP controller". If it doesn't show this, that usually means Windows is using a generic driver for the chipset/PCI/AGP/IDE etc. instead of the one specific to your BX chipset. While this may not give you any problems, it may prevent you from getting the best performance out of your hardware (like AGP 2x, Ultra DMA, etc.).

I couldn't even get the Matrox 4.51 drivers to work on my SuperMicro P6DGU motherboard (which has a GX chipset) with the default generic Win98 drivers. When I installed the GX driver update that came with the motherboard, everything worked fine.

Mark Veneziano

Comment

Working...
                X