Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't We All Beta Test the G200 drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Can't We All Beta Test the G200 drivers?

Creative releasing new drivers every week....???? Where, where, where???? I have an SB AWE 64 and haven't seen any new drivers since 13th of nov. '98. So Matrox's backward compability is 10 times better than the one from Creative! Once a Creative product is out of production - so are the drivers!

------------------
    HBS - ASUS P2B-S, PII 350MHz(o/c to 392MHz), Mill. G200, 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1GB, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CD-R, Canon Scanner - all SCSI.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

If I remember correct, Creative had new drivers in Dec 98' for there SBLive! card and then they didn't release new drivers until last month. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Okay....I don't get this. Why are you compareing Creative to Matrox? And why is releasing new drivers every week a good thing? If anything, I'd say that it was an indication of how good the programmers at creative suck. If you see drivers every week from a company, it means that there was bug fixes. And for there to be bug fixes, there are bugs. Matrox on the other hand, doesn't seem to have many bugs in their recent releases. If anything, it's just tweaking. Check out creative's readme for their latest TNT2 cards. There's still bugs (documented) in the drivers. What would you rather have, new driver updates every week to fix bugs, or one driver patch that fixes most bugs at once? I'd want the latter.

Comment

The last release, 4.51, are very buggy for many people. They constantly crash and lock up my socket 7 system.

Comment

Drakkhen,

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. I have many, many problems with 4.51 drivers and my G200. On the other hadn, my SBLive! card hasn't had a single problem before or after any drivers I've used with the card. The point I was making is that Matrox aren't the only people that I've seen take an unusual long time to release drivers.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Here's the bottom line. The G200 was built for the OEM market. OEM as in Owned by Every Moron. Most of the people with G200's in their box don't know what a driver is nonetheless how their video card works. All that Joe Ordinary knows is that he can turn it on, get a picture, and log onto AOL for his jollies.

The rest of us know that when the system crashes during an intense game it's the drivers. Beer Guzzler Bill thinks it's because the damn thing isn't reading his mind!

Matrox screwed us. Now they trot out the G400 (as in Gee, give us more money) with bump mapping! Guess what? The G400 isn't destined for the OEM (not the Max anyway). They are promoting it thru the net as if to say, "See folks, we told ya the G200 was a great card. See, we are listening. Look at the features of the G400. By the way, that will be $200US please."

The other manufactures won't sit still. Bump mapping will rapidly be incorporated into new products. We Do Have A Choice. Exercise it!! The most powerful way to vote against a company is with your money. Look at it this way, Matrox spent a ton of money to sell us the G200 then dropped the ball. There are dollars they spent to get us as customers that they will never see again because of the way they have treated us. While it may not be a consolation to many of you, I can live with that.

Happy, Happy! Joy, Joy!

Comment

I don't know what I'm talking about? I spend hours upon hours of my day testing video cards, and I can safely say, the newest G200 drivers are way more stable than anything I've seen from ATi, or nVidia. Yes, there are STILL some bugs in it that piss me off, but IMHO, I haven't experienced any persistant lock-ups or anything as serious. Helevitia, I don't mean to sound offensive in any way, but perhaps you can have a bit more respect replying to posts? "You obviously don't know what you're talking about," doesn't really come off as being polite to most people. This isn't a quake server; we're all on the same side, so let's keep it that way!

Anyhow, if you still disagree, pick up a CL TNT and try out the drivers...hahaha...I think after that, you'll appreciate what you have from Matrox already (That doesn't get you off the hook for not releasing new drivers, Matrox!!!!!).

Larry

Comment

Why Can't We All Beta Test the G200 drivers?

I was reading the previous post by Whisper about the lack of new G200 drivers for 6 months and completely agree with his message.

I think G200 users have all along been beta testers for the G400. Why not let us in on these new G200 drivers that are supposedly awesome. The more beta testers the better no?
                Thousands of users with thousands of different computer configurations would be better than just 10, no?

Why keep them reserved for the elite-few? Didn't Matrox release beta2 ICD (which sucked A-S-S) to everyone?

I also am sick and tired of hearing how great these drivers are from the elite few. Thanks but no thanks, especially to Matrox who seems to continue to alienate the hordes of G200 users still out there. Look at Creative for example, releasing drivers every friggin' week!

Come on Matrox, get on the ball and quit being so lame.

As good as the G400 sounds, I will not purchase it period. I will wait for something else. Voodoo3 and TNT2 are worth
                squat anyhow.

Comment

Drahkken,

My apologies, I sometimes jump the gun and get carried away. Bottom line is I was just adding to what VIKINGMAN had to say. You then cam back to say that creative sucks for releasing drivers once a week even though two people in front of you said that they do not release drivers once a week. Add that to the fact that I've never seen your name before on these forums and I'd say I have a good reason to start flaming.

Dave

Comment

I thought we did they just get final release numbers instead beta2.

Comment

Working...
                    X