Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tried Ultra TNT2 versus G200 - G200 won!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried Ultra TNT2 versus G200 - G200 won!

WOW...what a difference.

I went out and got a Diamond Viper V770 Ultra just for fun. Put it in one of our Win95 machines and loaded up the game Need for Speed III that came with it. Then, I swapped out the P2-400 CPU to a P3-500 CPU and updated the mobo bios for the P3.

The game sucked. It was slow, choppy and the textures were awful. The scenery in the near distance would drop in at the last minute in chunks. The car had no reflections and it was awful.

I reinstalled the drivers and tried again.
    No difference.

Then, I uninstalled the V770 and the drivers and reinstalled the Mill G200 SGRAM 16MB and ran the game again. This time, the game screamed, all textures were perfect, all reflections were present and it was absolutely amazing the difference.

Oh, I forgot to mention.....
    This was true for both the P3 and the P2 CPU's.

Also, the InControl99 Tools were lame.

I don't know about benchmarks, but for $250US it was sure a big disappointment. All I know is that the G200 kicked the crap out of the TNT2Ultra when it came to sheer enjoyment of the game.

As a side note, one of the after-effects of uninstalling the V770 was that it really screwed up the Registry. A whole lot of our business apps had to be re-installed.

Furthermore, the OpenGL performance of the V770 inWin95 was no better than the beta2 ICD from Matrox.

I returned the card to Fry's today and got my money back. What a learning experience.

I just thought I would share this with those out there who don't understand benchmarks and just want to know how it "felt". Granted, I only tried one game, but the overall performance just wasn't there....for the money it cost.

Just me two cents, mates.....

------------------
    Paul Luntsford, LC
    PLA Designs, Inc. Theatre and Lighting Consultants
    NT4, AOpenAX6BC, P3-500, 100MHzFSB,256MB SDRAM(PC100),MillG200AGP/16MB SGRAM

PLA Designs, Inc.
    Theatrical Consulting
    and Lighting Design

Once a Senior Member, then lost, then back again. Very expensive computers that run really fast, and don't really care to brag about anymore. This is, after all, just my job.

Thanks for the Enlightenment Paul!

I know this guy by the name of Sef who'd love to chat with you about that!

Linux /,Lin 'ucks/, n.1. able to be trusted; dependable.
    2. (tr.) to make safe from attack. 3. having great power.
    4. extremely effective or efficient.5. Adaptable or variable:
    flexible OS
    6.a. not enslaved or confined. b. to remove
    obstructions or impediments.

Comment

You must have been drinking, og maybee you forgot your glasses. The TNT2 is faster than the G200, no matter what. Get yourself a G400Max, and we may see another test result.

Comment

You must have been drinking, og maybee you forgot your glasses. The TNT2 is faster than the G200, no matter what. Get yourself a G400Max, and we may see another test result.

Comment

k, first of all : i come in peace =)

I got a V770U yesterday, something's wrong with your drivers because NFS3 looks great, i have car reflections etc.

The g200 is still the king of 2D, but the difference of 2d-quality isn't all that much.

3d-performance is amazing, Q3 1024 at 32bpp is VERY fluid. I don't regret buying the V770U.

The G200 was also worth my money, i had alot of fun playing around with it. and it's simply beautifull, 2d or 3d.

I must say the difference is image quality is biggest in 2D. 3D on the diamond is almost as good as G200, only difference is that the colors are a bit less vibrant.

I was also interrested in the G400, it looks real nice. but i matrox pissed me off so badly that i wouldn't risk it anymore. It's nice to have openGL support out of the box for NT.

Good luck to those buying G400's. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Comment

I knew there had to be something wrong with Lightheaded's experience...
            Anyway, one thing that is really irritating me about what people say about the g400 is the NT OpenGL support out of the box.

<H1>THERE IS NT4 OPENGL SUPPORT OUT OF THE BOX WITH THE G400!!!!!</H1>

Thanks you.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Using dodgy beta stuff in not that bad a PC with all sorts of bits n bobs in it helping to find ET calling home...

Comment

And why-oh-why-oh-why-oh-why aren't HTML tags workin?

Comment

I haven't got a flipping clue.... and I haven't got a flipping clue either about the new G200 drivers!

<H1>Where are they?</H1>

Robbo

Comment

Correction, there is NT support out of the box unless you happen to run the MURC. Phil got a G400 supplied with NT drivers and yet they still won't supply them to me. What the hell is wrong with Matrox?

Comment

Ant, can't you get them from the developer relations page on the Matrox site? I put in for a password last weekend, got an e-mail on Monday, and now I have access to the latest driver/ICD/Powerdesk for 9x and NT for the G400. Some of the drivers on the page are also unified and work with the G200 and previous Matrox cards.
                    Mark Veneziano

Comment

Duh, I'm telling you this and you were the one who mentioned the developer relations site and the new drivers in the first place in the MURC News section.

I'm definitely not a morning person.
                      Mark Veneziano

Comment

As a so called "Editor" I'm not officially allowed to participate in any beta testing, I can only wait for the drivers that marketing see fit to give me.

Comment

Considering how much this place helps fellow Matrox users, you'd think they would be a little nicer about that...

Then again, I'm keeping my opinions reserved until I see how close Matrox comes to the 3-4 weeks they promised for the MAX I ordered on 6/1.
                          Mark Veneziano

Comment

Just the other day I decided to throw $250 into the wind for fun. I was really disappointed to see that it didn't fly well, so I went and grabbed it from the air. I'm OK now... though.

-neo

------------------
                            Asus P2B-F, 496MHZ Pentium II (4x124!!), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

[This message has been edited by neo (edited 06-24-99).]

Comment

I'll bet a $1 he was running in software mode because he didn't setup the TNT2 in the 3dSetup. My friends have had problems with that with their Viper550's.

Paul
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
                              X