Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 SE trouble again!!!

Hi!

After installing Win 98 SE, I get lockups in IE 5. I get two dotted stripes on screen that run across the top of the screen from left to right in a slight curve. Then everything locks up completely. I'm using 4.51 drivers newest bios etc. It only happens at certain cites, www.abit.com.tw for example. Could it be a problem with the specific code on the page, I mean a bug in the explorer or is it video related??

Regards,

Jake

------------------
    Celeron 266@400, Abit BH6 bios ver. JJ, 192MB Samsung GL PC-100, G200 Mill. 8MB SGRAM AGP, 17" Hitachi MVX Value (CM-1786). Quantum 6.4 GB HDD, Plextor 40X SCSI Cd-ROM, Matshita (Panasonic) CD-R CW-7502 SCSI burner.

Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

All I can tell you is that I went to that site and was unable to reproduce the problem. I'm running a similar setup as far as driver/bios rev goes.

Comment

Check your bios to see if there is any reference to write combining,write allocation etc.If so disable them and try accessing the websites again.No promises,but worth a try.

Comment

Hi there.

This may seem nonsense, but try to run your cpu at the default speed and see if the problem still happens.

Since I was running my 300A at 400 2.1v stable with windows 98 for about six months, and then installed linux and I started to get all sort of errors (300 Mhz or 450 2.2v was fine), I will never again be surprised if strange errors occur in a *stable* overclocked system - specially when upgrading the OS or installing new software.

It´s a long shot, probably you´ve tried it, probably it will still do the same (I´ve got my share of 4.51 bugs), but it´s just my 2 cts.

Comment

Well, I got the same crash, lines all over the screen, and I have seen this on other sites to so this is one more to add to the list. This is not an IE5 problem, I think it is driver problem with the G200 hopefully it will be fixed in the 5.xx driver. I know people with TNT and they don’t have this problem. (The beta testers could test this)

Comment

I don't think any of the testers have WinSE. I have all the 98 service paks and IE5, and have not seen the problem (but I didn't see it with 4.51 either)...
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks guys!

At least it good to see that I'm not the only person with this problem. If anyone comes up with a solve, PLEASE post it here.

Regards,

Jake

P.S. I have tried running un-OC'ed, did'nt help...
              ----------------------
              Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Ups! douple post!
                Jake

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 06-22-99).]
                ----------------------

Comment

I don't have WinSE, and if I pull the hardeware acceleration down 2 steps every thing works fine on thes sites. I use 4.51 bios 2.3

[This message has been edited by Captain (edited 06-21-99).]

Comment

I had to switch from Powerdesk 3.51 to 3.33 after installing Win98 SE. Funny thing, 3.51 would work fine from my IDE drive, but not from my favorite Quantum Viking 2 SCSI drive.

Comment

I know it's not an answer, but you could try installing the latest version of the Micro$haft WHQL certified Matrox drivers (not yet up to 4.51). If it still does it with that then either MS want shooting (as they certified the drivers) or the problem is not Matrox specific.

Comment

I def. think it's a driverrelated prop. I run Win98 build 1998 DK-version on a MarvelG200. Three times I've experienced everything locking up completely with a green line (two pixels wide) straight across the top of the screen. However, it was not while surfing the net, it was when capturing from my VCR.

Strange...

Ghydda
                        As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
                        My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
                        |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Working...
                        X