Win98 SE causes black screen with power save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 SE causes black screen with power save

I have just upgraded to Win 98 SE and after trying to recover from the power saving monitor off after 15min setting, my monitor goes black with just a white mouse pointer showing. I have to then reboot. I am not using system standby or hibernate. Mystique G200, driver 4.33, BIOS 2.2. Anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers
    Brent

Ya know, I haven't seen a part of the APM in windows that works. I run an IDE burner, so I have all of my doze features off (causes uncecessary costers sometimes) but ever month or so Windows tells me that my computer has froze up the last few times I went to suspend and lets me disable it. The thing that kills me about this is that it happens every month or so. If I disable it in May, why is it causing problems in June and again in July. My theory is that all of the computers in Redmond, WA have the same mother board, and APM will work with that specific MB. Other than that, the public is screwed. M$ struggles with the implimetation of features that deal with hardware components (IMHO).

Area

BTW, you might make sure that you are handling the APM at a BIOS level and disable everything there.

Comment

I don't know if this msg is a wind up, but I'll answer anyway.

There is a BUG in SE whereby :

If the drive which contains your virtual memory swap file is defined in either win.ini or system.ini (I forget which file now) with a LOWER CASE (ohh irony) drive letter then it fails to return from suspend mode.

The fix is to edit the file and to replace it with an upper case drive letter. You'll probably find the official Micro$haft explanation on one of their bug list pages if you have a spare year to negotiate their site.

Comment

Working...
      X