Marvel Skipping Frames...Solved For Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel Skipping Frames...Solved For Me

I had to title this as SOLVED FOR ME because of course, there are no guarantees.

I had the same problem as was being discussed in the "Marvel Skipping Frames" topic. I would get 0 dropped frames in capture, and anywhere from a few to a lot of jitters in the AVI playback. In fact I just finished a project, made 25 copies out to videotape, and noticed every once in a while the output would jitter. The thing is, it jittered in different places each run.

I read this forum and figured I'd do some experimenting. I disabled VIRTUAL MEMORY and rebooted. The AVI Jitter problem went away. Played the same AVI that jittered every time during my recordings and played through smooth. In fact, played it back 3 times. Not one jitter. Then, I re-enabled virtual memory, rebooted, played back the AVI file, and bingo...jitter.

My system is a Celeron 300, 64MB RAM, 2 hard drives. A 5400 RPM system drive and a 7200 RPM Video Drive.

Can't guarantee that disabling the virtual memory will work for you, but it did the trick for me.

Cobalt

WOW. I'm going to try this tonight. I have a similar system and I have to watch every tape I output to check for jitter. I usually get 1 good video (no jitter or minor jitter) out of 5 attempted outputs.

Thanks for the TIP.

------------------
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),ABit BH6, 128mb ram, Win98, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, IBM 8.4gb UDMA Deskstar system drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 2x 9gb Seagate Barracuda UWSCSI video drives, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

Disabling virtual memory in a system under 128 megs is a risky business. This could easily cause a crash when editing a longer project.

A better way would be to limit the VM swapfile to fixed size of 128 megs, disable write behind cacheing on all drives and get CACHEMAN off a D/L site so as to get the VCACHE under control. From within CACHEMAN set the VCACHE min and max cache sizes to no more than 8 megs.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 30 October 1999).]

Comment

Working...
      X