Z-buffer errors in MDK2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-buffer errors in MDK2.

I'm getting some z-buffer visual errors in MDK2. This is prolly because the game is using only a 16bit Z-buffer, insead of a 32bit z-buffer. I'm running MDK2 in 32 bit tho. So I was wondering if anybody knew how to force MDK2 to use a 32bit z-buffer.

You can see a snapshot <a href="http://members.home.net/dj-donny-d/MDK2_snap.jpg">HERE</a>. As you can see, there is some sort of tearing on the window thing in the distance. It looks like Z-buffer errors to me.

I'm using the Certified 5.32 win2k PD drivers. I used the uncertified 5.51 drivers previously, and had the same results. I'm using the 4.31 4in1's drivers. MDK2 has the latest patches installed.

------------------
    P3V4X | P3 650@897 | Matrox G400@171/233 | Viewsonic 17" E771 | 256 mb ram | Maxtor DiamondMax+ 40 | SB Live Value | Altec Lansing ACS45.2 | Win2k
    Primary system specs:
    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

That's bugging you? I don't see too much problems with the picture... Might be me, non-aesthetic thinking... Usually in MDK2 the action around you goes too fast anyway, so who cares if a window looks 'teared'??

It might just as well be the way they wanted that window to be, so check on a different PC first, or check without z-buffer on.

As said, I don't see a problem

Jord.

edit: or try not to OC your G400

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 10 June 2001).]
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

How bout this.......can anyone name a game which G400 doesn't have SOME sort of zbuffer problem?

Heh.........I can't. Even with 32-bit zbuffering it still has problems.

Comment

I have to agree with Heiney on this one.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well Q3 seems alright to me. Well there are the occasional space between some polygons... but I'm not sure if that can be attributed to the z-buffer.

I don't see any problems with 32bit z on with my untrained eyes with games in general. To me, the problem is with the games that can't be forced use 32bit z. Ut was terrible until I figured out how to force 32bit z.
          Primary system specs:
          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

EDb, I think I know what I'm talking about... and I am a BB.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

That's right! Mike's a Baaad Boy!!! Probe that dongle boy!
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well maybe not... that bad

Comment

Yes, Gxx series have problems with the Z-buffer, but is it a hardware or a driver problem? I´m inclined to say that it´s an hardware fault. It´s a shame, really.

Comment

I did have major problems with UT in terms of the z-buffer but to be honest I don't think that the z-buffer is the real fault here. Obviously UT was fixed (almost completely) when the 32bit z-buffer was forced on but I think that we have just got to the point where the z-buffer is just not good enough.

All cards should have a w-buffer and then we would not have any problems as it is technically superior in the way it works.

If a Savage card can have a w-buffer why not a Matrox card. Matrox are after all about quality and z-buffer problems definately come under image quality. Saying the action is too fast to notice is just what you would expect a Nvidiot to say.

Just my 2c.

------------------
                    PIII450@504, G400 32MB DH, 384MB, GigaByte BX2000 MOBO.

[This message has been edited by dbdg (edited 14 June 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                    X