UT lockups monitor related??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT lockups monitor related??

I have almost given up playing UT because of the lockup problems. I won't go into the sordid details of the past two weeks with this but it is enough to say I have gone back and forth between 98 and WinMe so many times I've lost count and neither one works any better than the other. I have a SB GamerX (on its own IRQ...4) and I have disabled the DOS emulator thingy the two usual suspects when dealing with the SB Live series. I have also tried at least 4 different G400MAx drivers from the newest on down. Nothing seems to work. I have gone back through this forum to last October and found nothing that I haven't tried.

When I got home from work today there was a bright white horizontal line across the center of the screen and a hot electrical smell from the back of the monitor. When I moved the mouse the desktop appeared and all else seems normal.

So back to the topic question......is it possible that UT will push a feeble monitor to the point where it will lockup and it seems that it is the game locking up?

[This message has been edited by Laurie (edited 06 June 2001).]
    Laurie
    ======

Its not really possible to get a monitor to 'lock up', since it relies on constant data from the video card to create a display.
    Still probably not good that the monitor is flipping out though.

About that SBLive.. try to get it on a high priority irq (IRQ9, 10, 11 etc). IRQ4 is really crappy for any device that needs a decent amount of bus bandwidth.

Comment

Is your sys overclocked?

Oboy
      Time to make the wafers!
      Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
      jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Nope, this system is not o/c'ed. Neither the cpu nor the G400.

I have tried to move the SB to another irq but I'm really not sure how to do that. I was happy when it didn't show up using 11 which is the one my Max is on .

I've got an Asus CUSL2C and have tried assigning irq's to certain pci slots but that doesn't seem to work.

[This message has been edited by Laurie (edited 06 June 2001).]
        Laurie
        ======

Comment

Okay, I figured out the irq switch-a-roo. SB now by itself on irq 10. New monitor tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
          Laurie
          ======

Comment

I knew it was a long shot... really long. The new monitor is great but I'm still locking up so out came the SB GamerX and in went the old SB PCI128.....no lockups. What a waste of $150 and I now have to put it my wife's comp...oh well, last Creative product I'll ever buy.
            Laurie
            ======

Comment

I wonder why so many of us use the SB Live and don't have any problems with UT?!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yes Mike, I wonder that as well, even though I don't use an SBLive

Laurie, did you check all programs running in the background as well? An Anti-Virus program might be the cullprit.
                Or did you use clean Windows installs all the time? Which DirectX versions then?
                Did you install all the right sound-drivers?
                So to make a long questionaire short, tell us more about your sordid details

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh, and some information about the system used would be cool as well
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks all for your interest in this issue. Since I have lost a couple of weeks of UT playing time I finally bit the bullet and installed my old PCI128 and that solved all my problems. I tried everything from new drivers to so many clean installs of WinMe and Win98 I lost track. Jorden, there was nothing running in the background, no windows stuff or virus scans. I was using selective startup so I could control what was being loaded. Bottom line is that I bought a headset and the SB Live really will be of more use in my wife's comp where the Plextor burner(whoohoo) is. BTW. She got my speakers too.

Just so I answer all the questions:

Asus CUSL2C bios ver1.06(newest)
                    PIII 1000
                    G400 Max (irq11)
                    (formerly)SB GamerX5.1 now PCI128 (irq10)
                    WD20gig
                    WD10gig
                    Etherfast nic (irq4)

Kind of a bare bones system, nothing fancy or exotic.

I remain stumped by this one but since I can now play UT again... does it really matter?...nope. Life's too short to ponder stuff like this for too long.

Another BTW: Just moved to ADSL from @Home. Wow, what an increase in speed. We must have had too many people on our @home node or whatever its called. I now get standard 100 to 200 Kb/sec downloads, something I rarely saw with @Home.

Thanks again,

Laurie
                    Laurie
                    ======

Comment

Working...
                    X