G400 + W2K + Quake III = Lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 + W2K + Quake III = Lockup

I have been trying to install Quake III Arena on my PIII 800 running W2K (SP2). I have a G400 using the latest drivers. My MOBO is a Tyan Trinity 400 (bios 1.07 - which is latest) and have installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers. I'm running a dual boot with Win98 and W2K. I had Quake III running under Win98 and took it off that partition to run it under W2K. Now after I install Quake III and run it for the first time it usually freezes my system after the ID Software screen. I have to reboot to get back in. I saw some previous posts about renaming the opengl32.dll but that didn't work. I installed the latest patches for the game but it still doesn't work. Can anyone help me with this??? Thanks!!!!

[This message has been edited by scsi_guru (edited 20 May 2001).]

Bump...has anyone ever seen this before???

Comment

I can't believe no one's seen this before...

Comment

When you say you have renamed the opengl32.dll, which one are you referring to? In other words, where was it located?

Rags

Comment

It was located on my W2K partition

Comment

That's not what I mean. I meant what folder was it in?

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 27 May 2001).]

Comment

D:\winnt\system32

Comment

You renamed the wrong one. Leave that one alone, you should be looking for one in your Q3 directory somewhere.

Rags

Comment

Oh, and make sure that the opengl32.dll in your system32 folder is still there, and the name is correct.

Rags

Comment

Thanks!! I'll give that a try and see what happens..Should I rename to anything or to something more specific?? Can't recall where I saw this.

Comment

Just rename it to anything I always name it opengl32.bak, that way if I use the 5.51 drivers in winme when I boot to it, I can find it quick and easy to rename it back to opengl32.dll for use in winme/win98 (this is the TurboGL file, if you are running a driver later than 5.51 in win9x, then you should just delete it).

Rags

Comment

RAGS...can't find the file in my QIII directory. I even specified to search for hidden files and system files....

Comment

It must not be there then.

Okay, goto add/remove programs/Matrox Software and uninstall. Reboot, when windows picks up your video card, click CANCEL. Once windows has finished booting, install the Matrox drivers using the setup.exe, I suggest using the 5.52 drivers.

Rags

Comment

Rags...gave the 5.52 drivers a try before leaving town on Sunday and I still can only get past the initial ID Software screen and then my PC locks with a constant white flash of the screen and a continual loop of sound...??? Any other suggestions???

Comment

Post up your complete system specs, it will be easier for us to see what's going on.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X