Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge for Haig

Haig,

Here is a techie challenge. I have clients who use the 5.x version of your drivers with the G200 or G400 series of chipsets. Majority of them get the following error message:

While initializing device ios
    Error: Real mode system memory allocation failed

The only way then to use the 5.x drivers is to rename a file rmm.pdr to rmmpdr.old. If you have a bootlog text, it always stalls on that file.

The only drivers loading in the autoexec/config sys is the sb16 emulation being used by the soundblaster live. I have rem/commented out this line and it did not solve the problem.

I look forward to hearing your solution.

Tim Barnes
    President
    Barnes and Associates
    Matrox Solutions Provider
    Tim Barnes
    President
    Barnes and Associates

Hi Tim,

As simple as it sounds, the solution that my Rep gave is the proper solution. When you rename or even delete that file, windows will create a new rmm.pdr.

You don't have to take my word for it. Here are some other companies who also suggest the same:

Windows 95/98 Software Update: RMM.PDR

EASY FIX! by Dave Billings

(1).Restart your computer! Hit the F-8 Key before Logo Screen. Sarting in Windows95!
    (2).Choose (COMMAND PROMPT ONLY) on menu!
    (3). ATTRIB -r -s -h C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\RMM.PDR
    (4). DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\RMM.PDR
    (5). Restart your computer. Your Windows system will create the new file!

http://www.wisc.edu/helpdesk/osapp/dell_ios.html

Symptoms:
    After installing a 3Com 3C900 or 3C905 Ethernet card in a Dell computer, you receive the following error message every time you restart your system:

Windows Protection error: You must restart your system.

Solution:
    There are two possible solutions to this problem. First, download and run this fix: wpefix.exe
    If this fix does not work try the following:

Find the file rmm.pdr. Usually this file is found in this location: C:\windows\system\iosubsys\rmm.pdr
    Rename it to rmm.old and restart your computer.
    Last updated 2/17/98

http://www.terratec.net/ttus/support.htm
    Question 9:

When restarting Windows 95/98 after installing the drivers, the error message 'Windows General Protection Fault when initializing the IOS device' is displayed.

Answer 9:

You can get rid of this error message by booting your system in safe mode and then renaming the 'rmm.pdr' file in the \Windows\System\IOsubsys directory to 'rmm.bak'. The error message should no longer be displayed when you reboot your computer.

Haig

Comment

Haig:

Now that is a solution. I wish I had spoken to you first. Just to let you know, the technician who did work with me, did not present or suggest this solution. I came to this solution by trial and error. By monitoring the bootlog.txt I could see where the computer was freezing. Seeing that it froze at rmm.pdr, I decided to do the obvious and rename it. I haven't presented this solution to my clients yet, as I need to test out what problems are created by the removal/renaming of rmm.pdr.

It is dated 4/23/99 10xxpm, which gives a 995 probability it came off of the Windows 98 CD-Rom. Neither their website, resource guide, msdn, or other resource support even discuss the purpose or nature of this file.

I am deducing that it is a real-mode manager. I made sure that the auto and config were not being used to eliminate any chance that these files contained a conflicting part. I verifed that I had changed QT16 (just in case it was somehow affecting this). I even tried renaming several files in the iosubsys to see if there was a conflict there. The only problem the ones selected were still needed and the computer would not work without them. I just put together a spare machine to see if rmm.pdr is installed by Windows 98 during install and it is. So what is the function then.

The other curious question, as you know there currently are three different driver versions. I know that each serve a purpose, but it can also be confusing.

5.25.013 - Certified - Updated 10/28/99
      5.25.019 - Unified - Updated 10/8/99
      5.3 - Latest

The 5.3 has a flag that sticks up quickly, no other 3D Accelerator allowed (i.e. Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2). I am sure even you would agree that it doesn't hurt to have a 3dfx daughter card for some games that require (even though not an issue with most newer games out or coming soon - Direct X provides most of the Glide api used by 3dfx). I have clients who use their computer for both business and home use,and I have usually recommended pairing a Matrox with a Voodoo 2 card for the best of all worlds. It wasn't elaborated on, but it has a problem with the TurboGL drivers. Now the question is, the problem occur if you try to run OpenGL using the G400 or Voodoo2, or is this problem related to a specific conditions or applications.

I appreciate your response. I haven't had time to check out the links you provided, as I wanted to respond as quickly as possible to your suggestions, as that is most appropriate to thank you.

This is the type of information, that if provided makes advance trouble shooting easier. I know that this is isn't for the general public, since most don't have the knowledge, but this type of information should be made available to advance users. I will continue to do research on what is wrong, if Matrox wishes I would be more than happy to work with you and your engineers in determing exactly what is causing the error, including working out the Voodoo 2 and Turbo GL conflicts. All my machines I use have at least one Voodoo 2, and two of them run in SLI mode. So please feel free to pass this on to your engineers/coders. As I stated before, if I am going to complain, then I should also present solutions.

Thank you again.

Tim Barnes
      President
      Barnes and Associates
      Tim Barnes
      President
      Barnes and Associates

Comment

Hi Tim,

"It is dated 4/23/99 10xxpm, which gives a 995 probability it came off of the Windows 98 CD-Rom. Neither their website, resource guide, msdn, or other resource support even discuss the purpose or nature of this file."

Aha, so we're not the only ones that lack info on our web site Just kidding.

As you've seen in our readme, we will not support our TurboGL with any 3rd party 3D accelerator card.

The problem occurs when you run an OGL app/game. The game will see the ICD from the Voodoo card rather than seeing our TurboGL.

At this moment, we have no plans on supporting this combination.

PS: A few hardcore gamers over on the hardware forum have it working properly but even so, there is no support provided by Technical Support on this combination.

Haig

Comment

Working...
        X