Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

704x480 video mixed with what size still pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 704x480 video mixed with what size still pics?

Captured Matrox MJPEG video at 704x480 and plan on creating the same size file to output back to VHS tape. Problem is I want to insert some still digital pictures in the video, so what size pictures should I use?

The 704x480 size of the MJPEG is not the traditional 4:3 ratio which has always confused me a little so if I want to make something for video tape do I take a 4:3 ratio still and resize it to 640x480 and insert or do I crop it to 704x480 and insert?

I assume a 1024x768 picture would have no advantage over the same picture resized to 640x480 in photoshop before inserting into media sudio pro 5.2
    Thanks,
    robert@mz3.net

My guess is to go ahead an produce your image at 640x480 to get the aspect ratio right and let another program expand it to fit the frame. (MediaStudio does it automatically) That way, when the 704x480 is scaled down for the screen, the aspect ratio is right.

Even better would be to create a larger image (1024x768) and scale it down so that you get the best quality image. The difference might be small; I've never really tried it that way.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Actually, what you want to do is make your actual picture somewhat smaller than the 704x480 frame size - I usually try to keep the width 640 or less, and the height 440 or less. Then, paste the picture onto a 704x480 background matte and save that as a .bmp or .tif. Then insert this image file into the timeline in Ulead MSP.

By using an image size of 704x480, you prevent MSP from having to "adjust" your image size to make it fit the 704x480 frame size (which takes a mighty long time, and usually distorts your picture).

By making the actual picture smaller than 640x440, you ensure that the entire picture will fit within the visible area of the TV screen when you playback your video on a TV. If the actual picture is much larger than this, the edges of it will be cut off due to the fact that all TVs overscan the image on the screen.

Rick
      http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

You have to prepare 4:3 aspect ratio image and then resize it to 704:480 aspect ratio in image editor. This way a circle on original image wil remain a circle on TV screen.
        To avoid additional resizing while rendering, it is better to prepare a bitmap of exactly 704x480 in size, but always with resizing from original 4:3 aspect ratio image.

Grigory

Comment

Working...
        X