I'm soon not to be a Matrox User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm soon not to be a Matrox User

Well, it doesn't look as though Matrox is going to release a new 3D card. I've ordered an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO to replace my old G400 and RRG.

I upgraded to a 1GHz Athlon and 256MB PC133 RAM just before Xmas and the G400 is really holding the system back.

I love the picture quality, the Dual Head etc, but Matrox just don't make a decent solution for gamers anymore. Having to play in 16 bit colour at 800x600 just isn't good enough, not considering the money I've spent on this system.

Oh well, maybe the card I replace my Radeon with will be a Matrox.

What games are you having problems with running? I have a 1.2GHz Thunderbird with a G400MAXed and I play all my games, if supported, at 1027x768x32bit without any problems or major slowdowns.

Joel

Oh and BTW, what leads you to this conclusion?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Well, it doesn't look as though Matrox is going to release a new 3D card.</font>
    [This message has been edited by Joel (edited 14 April 2001).]
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I'm playing Unreal Tournament. I can play it online at 1024 in 16 bit, but when it gets a bit busy the framerate drops too much to be very playable. I haven't tried the higher resolutions since I O/Cd the Athlon to 1.3GHz, but I'm guessing the card's already maxed out, so a faster CPU probably won't make much difference.

Maybe the Max is better, but there's no way I'd buy a Max now.

There have been rumours flying around about a new kick-ass 3D card from Matrox for ages, and nothing's come of any of them. I've seen the latest batch of rumours (wasn't something supposed to be announced at CeBit?), but even if they're true the card will probably take a long time to reach the market.

There's a gaping hole in the market for a high-performance 3D card with multi-monitor support (the GeForce2MX and Radeon VE just don't cut it).

If I really thought I could have a new kick-ass Matrox 3D card with Dual Head within the next three months I'd cancel the order for the Radeon, but I don't.

[This message has been edited by bugblatt (edited 14 April 2001).]

Comment

Ever considered overclocking that vanilla ?

Radeon 64 Vivo, you're spending how much on it ? 180-220$ ?
        Why not get a 32 Radeon LE for around 80$, tweak the registry (or use any of the Radeon tweakers) to enable Hyper-Z again and overclock it to Vivo speeds and beyond ?
        You won't be sorry when you throw it away for Matrox's next card

Comment

Alright guys he forced me to do this.

This shot was taken while using OpenGL rendering at 1024x768x32bit both details setting at high. With D3D I get about 65-70fps at the same settings.

Joel

For more info about that screen shot go to this thread forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004899.html

------------------
          System Specs
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I've got it overclocked around 10%, that's as high as it'd go and stay stable.

I didn't know there was a VIVO LE. Anyway, I'm in the UK, haven't seen any LEs over here. I don't really fancy getting that kind of stuff in from the States. Besides, money isn't that big an issue at the moment (not being flash, I've just got some spare cash at the mo).

It's bloody frustrating, I want Dual Head etc but I've already waited ages for Matrox to get their arses into gear and release a new card (I don't count the G450 as new for obvious reasons). No doubt they're waiting for the day after my Radeon arrives

Comment

LOL, I can tell you're gonna be showing that to your Grandkids

I found using 32 bit, even in 640, made it die on me, am I missing something? In fact when I go to 32 bit the mouse moves like a dog even in the menu bit.

In 16 bit 1024 is fine until it gets a bit busy, then it's too jerky (e.g. if someone's jumping in circles around me. In 800x600 they don't usually do that for long )

I need a minimum (not average) framerate of 40FPS in whatever res/depth I run, otherwise it's no good to me.

Comment

Hey bugblatt, What are going to do with your Rainbow Runner G?

Rags

Comment

There isn't a vivo LE, there's only an LE with 32 DDR clocked at 148 core, 148 memory and has Hyper-Z disabled through software. It's made for the Assian market.
                  Here's a review of it.
                  People report hitting 200/200 or even more with it: What is you Radeon LE overclocked at (Rage3d forums).

Comment

Rags, I'm planning to sell it. But it looks like you're in the USA, I'm in the UK.

Admiral, yeah I heard about the LE, and enabling Hyper-Z etc, but I really need the VIVO, or at least the VI (I watch TV on my PC, much better picture quality than my TV).

Comment

You do know that the VIVO cards just have that VIDEO-in, there's no tuner on those, so you'll need an external tuner or a VCR to actually get TV on your PCs monitor.

Besides that the VI (and VO) of the Radeon is working fine here with the latest drivers even in Win2k - I have just finished capturing "Absolute Power" in 640x480 YUV and now I'm converting it to DivX ;-) for storage on 2CDs....
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

Thanks, yeah I'm taking the output from my cable TV box. I'm already using the composite-in on my RRG, not using the tuner at all anymore.

Comment

I find it so frustrating that Matrox seem to be shooting themselves in the foot over this. By not informing us what is going on, many loyal customers will be forced to seek alternatives in order to keep up with technology, and if those alternatives are satisfactory, what make Matrox think they will come back?

Oh well

btw, I play UT on my athlon 500 with G400 vanilla, at 640, and I find that there is no difference between 16 and 32 bit colour. However, my online play (I only really play online) is limited more by my 56k modem than my gfx card.....

------------------
                          Illusion[Spirit]
                          www.spiritclan.co.uk
                          Illusion[Spirit]
                          www.spiritclan.co.uk

Comment

Good call Illusion. I was wondering about bug's connection as well. Even if you have an (A)DSL connection, you might want to check your ISP's bandwidth as well, plus the servers you're playing on.

It makes all the difference. But blaming it on your videocard is the easiest way out ofcourse.

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Very true Illusion, if they had a good gaming card I'd buy it, especially because I want Dual Head.

I have a cable modem, the bandwidth's 576Kbits/s. I just tried playing at 1024 on 16 bit colour, and the minimum framerate was just under 30 (which is more than I was getting before I overclocked the CPU). I can live with that I guess (even though everything's set to absolute minimum quality), but it just dies in 32 bit. Perhaps the reason you don't get that is because at 640 the memory bandwidth isn't such a limiting. I think I'll have another play with it to see if I can get 32 bit working at a decent speed.

As it now works ok in 1024 I've cancelled the Radeon for now. I'll wait a while to see what comes from Matrox. I wish they'd get their fingers out and announce the damned thing, if it wasn't for Dual Head I'd be long gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X