Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT settings for G400

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been posted before and I did have a look through past posts - honest.

Basically I'm just wandering what settings work well for the G400 in UT. I guess it comes from having installed Infiltration (an uber-realistic combat mod) and finding that in a lot of the maps at a distance, I can sometimes see through walls - and often see diagonal stripes (Z-buffer problem?). Also some distant structures don't seem to get drawn at all.

I had also heard that some of you use OGL rather than D3D. So, which runs UT best for the G400 - D3D or OGL?

btw, I'm kind of looking for the best image quality without being too choppy.

Ta,
    Uppity

Quick sys specs:
    Duron 750
    128meg Ram
    G400 32M DH
    Gigabyte GA7-XE4 mobo
    SB Live Value
    Windows 98

Uppity

Be sure also that you are using the latest drivers for your G400.

As for performance between D3D and OGL in UT D3D will have the faster frames rates but IMO OGL looks the best. Just check out this thread. forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004899.html

I was running at 1024x768x32bit with both detail settings at high in OGL mode and everything ran fairly smooth. With your setup you may have to drop the details down a notch but it will still look good.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Hehe Joel, you're really happy about having won, aren't you?

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks OmegaRED, I'll give that a try when I get home.

Hehe, showing off again Joel?

OGL does look nice. Maybe I'll try that out too. Hmm, now I see your FPS and system specs. Well, I'll give it a go anyhow and see how it runs - its just that a lot of those Infiltration maps are quite big and open - so you tend to see a LOT of it at once.

Oh, if you're interested, Infiltration is a realism mod (similar to counterstrike - only for UT and a LOT more realistic than CS) I only D/L'd it last night but from what I've seen so far - Verry nice. - So if you like CS - give it a try.

Thanks,
        Uppity
        Uppity

Comment

Ifiltraion is good but unfortunaetly it is just trying to be as good as Tactical Ops.
          I discovered Infiltration after installing UT but after finding Tactical Ops I have never turned back.
          Just my 2c

------------------
          PIII450@504, G400 32MB DH, 384MB, BX2000 MOBO.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hehe Joel, you're really happy about having won, aren't you?</font>
            Yeah I am. If you knew how bad I normally sucked when playing UT you'd understand.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 12 April 2001).]

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

Yeah, he usually really, really sucks j/k
              jim

System 1:
              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
              Epox 8K7A
              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
              SBLIVE 5.1
              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
              3Com Hardware Modem
              Teac 20/10/40 burner
              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Enter console, type Preferences, then Rendering>D3d>Use32BitZBuffer, that should rid you of most ZBuffer problems ( probably not all ). You need to enable 32BitZBuffer in PDesk too.

OpenGL is still much slower than D3D, i wouldnt recommend it ( you could try it though ).

As for other settings ... Try disabling Trilinear, Dynamic Lights & Decals if it`s too slow ( although it shouldnt be on your PC ). Dyn. Lights looks much better, but is much slower. Your choice.

------------------
                Seth, are you ok ?
                I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
                Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

But I have fun. Isn't that what it is all suppose to be about.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

Joel, I understand you - I sometimes play a little HL at school, and I suck big time, but it's more fun than learning nonetheless

Just wait till summer when I hopefully get a new PC - you'll find a big rival in me when it comes to losing (we could play "first man falling )

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                    X