• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 or GTS2????

wait till summer for more, faster, and cheaper cards

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Wait until Christmas if you can, I´m sure by then we should have more, faster, and cheaper cards, cpu´s, motherboards, memory, ... than in the summer

Easy, az

Comment

Does the G400 give you enough FPS?

Do you use DualHead?

The GF2 GTS is obviously a nice, fast card - but I'd say there are 2 graphics card options at the moment:

1) G4x0
      2) Kyro II

Check the Kyro reviews to see how it compares on price and performance to the GF2 - and you'll be getting a brand new card to boot (I'm assuming that the GF2 is 2nd hand)

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

hehehe of course, but i didn't want to say too directly that by summer we will at least know (and hopefully be able to buy) the next matrox card... right, BBz?

AZ

Comment

Wait until summer.. no, wait until christmas.. no.. wait until next year, as faster stuff will be out then. Hell, might as well wait until you're dead, as the cards by then will be amazing.

To be honest, the G400 doesn't cut it for newer games. My MAX has trouble keeping up on a GHz Athlon system even with detail settings turned down. If you use the dual head, then thats a big plus. If not, go with something else.. hopefulyl that Kyro2 will be out within a month.

Comment

it will be out in 2-3 weeks

and i just try to say that i'm almost sure a company we all know and love will release their next card this summer... (so we can all spend 700$ on a geforce 3 )

you don't have to believe me that matrox will indeed be releasing their next card by summer, and i take no responsibility for that "info"

AZ

Comment

G400 or GTS2????

I currently have a G400 32Mb Dual Head. I use my computer for 3D Studio Max and Counter Strike (amongst other things). I have the opportunity to get hold of a GTS 2 for £100. Is it worth it????? or is it better to wait until the GForce 3 comes out and the GForce 2 dropped through the floor?

Any thoughts welcome.

Comment

in cs you will gain nearly no improvement over the g400, except for a much worse image with the gefrog.
                3d studio max benefits from a faster processor more !

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spawn666:
                  in cs you will gain nearly no improvement over the g400, except for a much worse image</font>
                  The 10-15 fps that he is likely to gain is nothing?

I don't want to get into a war about this, but if the guy wants to upgrade his card, then give him some helpful suggestions. Comments like "If you wait 6 months, there'll be a new card out" will always be true, and in the mean time his existing card is getting older and slower (in comparison).

Personally, I'd take the jump. No-one can say when Matrox will definately be releasing a new card, and the GF3 cards are so thin on the ground that it's likely to be 2-3 months at least before they are common enough to affect the price of GF2 cards significantly.
                  Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

that's why i say get a kyro II in 2-3 weeks or wait 3 months ang get the new Mcard...

AZ

Comment

Get that GTS if you want to play games
                      with decent resolutions and higher fps.

And those about image quality if you get
                      same fps at 640x480 16 bit or 1152x864 32bit
                      which one has better image quality or which
                      one looks better ?

In gaming any Matrox card sucks right now.
                      I'm myself stucked in to Matrox G450 because i need two monitors, but when a card with
                      good quality DH comes around with at least
                      GTS level 3d i'll take it and it doesn't matter if it is not Matrox card.

clatto verata nectKRHMM...

Comment

yepitsme, most people who play games still spend some time in 2d (like, for example, this forum), and for those who do, or who play "slower" games, image quality is an issue... what you are talking about is effects quality.. image quality is the sharp delivering of those effects... (so i'm with you when you say a gts is better for fps games, because it allows higher resolutions and/or color depths - but if you chose the same resolution on a g400 and paused the game, it'd look better.. and 2d as well as many games are slow enough to notice )

AZ

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I have taken the plunge and got a GForce 2 GTS 32Mb DDR (was offered it at a MUCH lower price) and a Savage 3 16MB PCI.

I shall let you all know what I think of it once it's installed.

cheers again

Comment

Good post Az. I've had an Elsa Gladiac for a while now, and I can agree 100% with all of your points.

The GTS is better for fps, since you can use higher resolutions/color depths/feature settings, and still get good framerates. I use it for UT, Q3A, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, etc...

Meanwhile, my older G400Max, which is my wife's computer, is better at nearly anything that either isn't framerate intensive, or that doesn't need higher resolutions. For instance, my wife and I occasionally play the computerized version of Life (board game), and the image on her monitor is much more crisp and vibrant than what I have (it's all 2D, with simulated 3D effects and video sequences).

So as long as you want a card primarily for the purpose of higher resolutions and color depths in 3D games, AND assuming framerates are also important, the 32MB GTS cards are currently a very good buy (the MX cards are even better right now, lol). If you play games more as an afterthought, and use your PC more often for image editing, video editing, word processing, or nearly any other type of work-related task more than anything else, the Matrox cards are easier on the eyes, and look better in high-resolution 2D than the nVidia-based cards currently available.

------------------
                            Ace
                            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600
                            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Well, I just threw out my Geforce 2 in favour of a 64meg ATI Radeon, and now I've got excellent 2D AND 3D. I'm liking this card quite a bit.

Bart
                              Bart

Comment

Working...
                              X