win2k refresh rates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k refresh rates.

I've just did the jump to win2k. But the refresh defaults to 60hz. This is easily corrected in the display menu, but games still default to 60hz. Is there a util that can change this? I've only seen res utils, no refresh utils.

------------------
    P3V4X | P3 650@897 | Matrox G400@171/233 | Viewsonic 17" E771 | 256 mb ram | Maxtor DiamondMax+ 40 | SB Live Value | Altec Lansing ACS45.2 | Win2k
    Primary system specs:
    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

You don't need any utility, Matrox's drivers include the means to adjust your refresh rates to customized settings.

Rags

Comment

It still defaults to 60hz in 3D Q3 (it's the only 3d app i got installed at teh moment). The Desktop is fine, as I can just change in the drivers.

If i set 1027x768x16 to 85hz on the desktop, Q3 will still go to 60hz when i fire it up at that same rez/depth.

------------------
      P3V4X | P3 650@897 | Matrox G400@171/233 | Viewsonic 17" E771 | 256 mb ram | Maxtor DiamondMax+ 40 | SB Live Value | Altec Lansing ACS45.2 | Win2k

[This message has been edited by EvilDonnyboy (edited 01 April 2001).]
      Primary system specs:
      Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Maybe you aren't understanding me correctly.

Goto display properties/settings/advanced/MONITOR SETTINGS/ADJUST CURRENT DISPLAY MODE (or ADJUST ANOTHER DISPLAY MODE for changing the default resolution for other resolutions that you currently aren't using), adjust the refresh rate for each mode you plan on using and save the settings for windows to use.

Rags

HEY JORDEN!!!!! How about puting this in the FAQ already? This is about the hundredth time this has been answered.

Comment

Jeez, I'm not as stupid as you think I am. I've tried that already, 1027x768x16 is set to 85hz. But when you try playing Q3 at 1027x768x16, it goes to 60hz.

------------------

Primary system specs:

Comment

I never said you were stupid. What driver are you using for your monitor?

I am going to post a screenshot and see if you see something, so hang tight, okay?

Rags

Comment

Okay, there are a few things you have to make sure of before using monitor settings will work for DX games to use. First and foremost, you need to have your specific monitor selected in windows. Secondly you have to use a refresh that your monitor's driver doesn't report as too far out of range. Thirdly, you have to actually move the refresh rate in the box even if it already says the refresh you want. That means go ahead and adjust it down to 84 then back to 85 then click on next, and save it for windows to use.

TO tell if your driver is reporting the refresh too high, you will see this (Note the yellow warning with the exclamation on the lower left of the box):

And when you click next, it will give you this dialog:

Rags

Let me know if you see those boxes.

Comment

*slaps himself on forehead*

Ok, I'm almost as stupid as you thought i was. So my Viewsonic E771 supposedly doesn't like 85hz at 1027x768. But it works fine with no complaints in win98/98SE/ME. So why would it act up in win2k?

ty for ur help.

------------------

Primary system specs:

Comment

It's the way win2k is setup, only Matrox has a workaround for it.

Do you have a link to their driver? If so, I will make a fix in it for you so you won't have that problem

Rags

Comment

Nevermind, I found the installation files from viewsonic's website. Goto your winnt\inf folder and backup the "VS010319b.inf" file, Put this in it's place.

Goto device manager/display/driver update driver and tell it you have the disk, point it to your winnt\inf folder and point it to the VS010319b.inf, and select the E771 and install it. Now, go to monitor settings and see if that warning is gone, it should be.

Rags

Comment

ty

edit:yea it does work great.

Primary system specs:

Comment

Not a problem, just let me know if it works.

Rags

Comment

I mite be a lil late for the response, but if I read correctly, modding the inf monitor files in the best way to go, since all the apps will allow you to use 85hz refresh rate, and besides on using Matrox utilities, you can use dxdiag, (last tab), Override, and manually input 85, but this only applies to Direct3d apps, if for Q3, then the best way is to still mod the inf files, hope I helped (or further extend what previous guys' response said)

------------------
                          Sanjuro Makabe

P!!!550E @ 733Mhz
                          ASUS P3V4X 1005, 4in1 4.29
                          256Mb PC133Ram (Micron)
                          Matrox G400Max PD5.51
                          SBLive! LW3.0
                          Win2k/Me
                          Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                          ASUS P4T-EA
                          Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                          ATI 8500 Retail
                          SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                          WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Rags:

what exactly is this thing in Win2k? I tried to find out from your modifications, and I guess it's that Win2k uses a max. horizontal refresh rate 4 or 8 lower than specified in the .inf? In the modified .inf it was 8 higher... but on my system, Win2k can use up to 4 lower than specified before it starts complaining.

Though if this is the case, and it will be fixed in a Win2k ServicePack, then you should be carefull

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 01 April 2001).]

Comment

Why should I be careful? You can go past that limit anyhow using monitor settings, it just won't allow you to use them in games. I think that's stupid, I say if a guy wants his refresh rate to be 85 Hz, win2k shouldn't care.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X