Matrox vs. MX and Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox vs. MX and Radeon

I'm potentially interested in buying a Matrox product, perhaps G400 MAX or G450. How fast/slow is G450 compared to MX or Radeon? I've heard and read that G450 can't possibly compete with the other cards, but all these tests have been made on a zillion hertz :-) Athlon or Pentium board. How slow is G450 on my K6-2/500, 128MB?

I mainly use my computer to schoolwork, drawing, web page planning and programming, in both Windows and Linux. I seldom play games, but once in a while I just can't help myself and play ~12 hours straight...usually UT or Quake. How good is OpenGL support for Matrox's cards? How about Linux driver? Does Linux support Dualhead?

Also, what does the memory type affect on the speed? I know there are (at least) SDRAM, SGRAM and DDR-RAM versions of G4x0 boards.

Should I buy MX or Radeon and stick with Windows (as far as I know they don't have a decent support for Linux) or should I buy G450, plug another monitor in and enjoy myself for the next five years?

------------------
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

yes, as far as i know linux supports dual head. you can also consider the kyro II, which is faster than mx and has better image quality.
    if you can wait for another 10 days, you can wait and see what matrox is gonna announce on the cebit (see soap box thread "its not gonna be called g800"), maybe there will be a cheap card among the upcoming matrox products??
    as for the g4x0, the g400max is faster than the g450, ive had it for more than a year now, quality and dualhead are great, newer games are starting to run too slow (athlon 750).
    when matrox wont announce a chip this cebit, ill get a kyro II, wont cost too much so i can hopefully afford the new matrox card when/if it comes out.

Comment

well, if you work more than you play i'd advice you to get a matrox card, preferably the g450, as it's got better dualhead (the g400's second ramdac is limited to 1280x768@60Hz iirc). both the radeon ve and, even more so, the gf2 mx are somewhat faster in 3d, but have worse image quality (at least the mx is way behind here) and worse dualhead capability - i don't know about linux drivers for either, but i'd suspect that, given ati's windows drivers reputation (although linux drivers are probably not developed in-house), the radeo will have no or really poor lin drivers, and i don't think that nv's lin drivers (if such do exist) would provide dualhead features (even thei win drivers don't really )..

so i'd just take a matrox card, but i wouldn't listen to me anyway, because my latest graphics card is a matrox millenium (with a whopping 4mb wram ) and i don't have any experience with cards newer than that *g

but i've read much, and i'd recommend you take a look at anandtech's dual display comparison between a g450, a radeon ve, and a gf2 mx - but remember that eDualhead wasn't out back then

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Unlurking for a fellow Finn. Nice to have you here.

If you really plan to keep your new card for five years get G4x0. In five years all cards you can buy today will be slow. At least Matrox will look good.

You don't say what vidcard you have now. I guess that if you are considering upgrading to G4x0 you have at most Voodoo3 or TNT2. While I'm not very much into gaming I think that you'll do just fine with G4x0. Just don't expect very big improvements.

IIRC Matrox has multi-monitor support for Linux.
        (0,1) Just my two bits.

Comment

My old card is i740 (laughter...), so I figured out anything currently sold card would be better!

Any Finn knows where I can buy a Kyro II based card? How does it work in Linux? What is it exactly?

For the last three days I explored the Net and read almost (I hope) all info concerning MX vs. G4x0 vs. Voodoo. In nearly all of the tests Geforce2 based card won, and the even had the best Linux support!!! I'm not so certain about Matrox's cards anymore, so when I next get some money (next summer or maybe before) I'll buy THE CHEAPEST Geforce2 or Gxx0 based card, which has TV- and/or two monitor outputs...

You say Matrox is going to introduce G800? How about that...?

------------------
          Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Comment

They sure will do soon ... err I mean this year.

MK

------------------
            Celeron II 860 MHz + Golden Orb
            256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
            G400 16MB @ PD 5.52 + TGL
            20 GB IBM on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
            Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
            <font size="1">
            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
            ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
            Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
            2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
            ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
            HP Deskjet 959C
            Plantronics LS1 Headset
            all on W2k Professional SP2
            </font>

Comment

Nah, I mean wait for CeBit or GDC and do your decision then.

MK
              <font size="1">
              Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
              ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
              Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
              2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
              Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
              ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
              Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
              Plustek Optic Pro U12B
              HP Deskjet 959C
              Plantronics LS1 Headset
              all on W2k Professional SP2
              </font>

Comment

Kyro II will be out at the end of March or at the begining of April. It's recommended price 150$. But I guess it's Linux support will not be as good as for Matrox Gxx or nVidia Geforce cards.

------------------
                Live long and prosper!
                Live long and prosper!

Comment

i doubt there will be any dualhead-versions of kyro II based cards, although they will make great (and cheap) gamer's card with decent image quality, but i doubt it will (decently) support linux.

there might be a kyro II card by powerVR/videologic themselves, but it's certain that there will at least be a guileemot/hercules card, the 3d prophet 4500

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

If you want a good gaming card with good image quality, get the kyro II. its 150$ and actually beats the gf2 ultra in some areas.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1435

check this review. if matrox doesnt bring out a chip, thats the one im getting ( i know im repeating myself )

Comment

Not that I'm not excited about Kyro 2, but come on this a Matrox forum, what's everybody doing telling this guy to buy a Kyro ?
                      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

and advise to buy a product when they've never seen one, tested it, found the bugs it has or the like.

another reason to raise the mini status a bit higher I think, Aye Ant?
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The Kyro's do have some driver bugs, but then again so does Matrox. And the KyroII is a pumped up Kyro, just faster.

As for dualhead, it looks like there will be Kyro's with TV out. I haven't heard anything at all about support other than Windoze.

And CHHAS, I like my Matrox stuff, but they don't have anything to offer right now.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Please notice the , I've got a Kyro myself and love it, I was just trying to beat Greebe to it

But still, this is a Matrox forum, and non-matrox products should be kept in General Hardware IMHO.

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 14 March 2001).]
                            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Does anyone know what AGP bus speed these cards are stable to? Will any of them make 89mhz (1/2 divider on a 133mhz fsb?)

Comment

Working...
                              X