Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400 - Overclocking Issues

Okay. Here's the situation.

First thing I should mention is that I have not done any tweaking to the card itself. All references to overclocking refer to the motherboard frontside bus and PCI bus.

You can see the hardware I'm sporting in my sig. I've been running my rig at 140MHz FSB and 35MHz PCI, yielding a 911MHz processor speed. It's been rock stable for months, with one exception that I just attributed to this configuration.

During the cut scenes of almost every game I play, I get red and blue "dots" appearing randomly around the screen. They're 36 pixels in size, arranged in a group of 9 blocks of varying intensity. They only last for one frame, but appear with regularity.

To illustrate, they color blocks are arranged like this:

1 2 1
    2 3 2
    1 2 1

(3 - brightest color, 1 - darkest color)

(Note: I can post a screenshot if anyone is interested.)

I talked it over on the Matrox tech support board. After trying every viable driver, it occurred to me that it might have something to do with the system being overclocked. I knocked it back down to its original specs of 100/33. The symptoms disappeared. I clocked it up to 133/33. Symptoms are still gone.

This would lead me to believe that the problem stems from either the 140 FSB or (more likely) the 35 PCI setting. I'm going to do some more testing with various PCI bus speeds and report back on my findings.

Has anyone else experienced such strange video artifacts or have any idea why this is happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You forgot to post your system specs.

However, either your RAM or the G400 don't like the higher speed. You're running the AGP bus at either 70MHz, or 93MHz. Try using the Matrox tweak tool to force AGP1x.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

"Has anyone else experienced such strange video artifacts or have any idea why this is happening?"

You already answered your own question.
      You are overclocking you system. Not just your FSB, but every component in your system by running the PCI and AGP bus out of spec.
      You have verified this is the problem by running at lower(spec'd) FSBs, and seeing the problem go away.

Find your system's optimal speed without artifacts, and run it there (which in your case sounds like 133 FSB). Also try Wombat's suggestion of forcing 1xAGP. Any way you slice it, you are talking about a minimal difference that you will not be able to percieve, unless your favorite game is compairing scores from 3DMark2000.

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 14 March 2001).]
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

*laugh* You're quite right. Now that I reread what I wrote, I more or less answered my own question.

Part of me feels as though I'm nit-picking, but my real reason for asking is more out of intellectual curiosity than trying to squeeze an exceptionally marginal performance gain out of my system. I'm quite interested to discover why overclocking the AGP bus would only cause small, predictable artifacts in prerendered video playback in games (most video codecs, like mpeg, do not show such artifacts)... and not show any signs of error during more intensive operations like running a Quake3 based game?

I must admit that I'm having a bit of an internal conflict. I really enjoy the idea of overclocking from the standpoint of having the challenge of seeing how far I can push the system. (Note: That's not the same as wanting to do it for the bragging rights...) Another part of me doesn't want to go to the extreme of building a water cooling or peltier solution, nor to I wish to break any of my hardware.

Anyway, I realize that I'm rambling on about rather academic topics. The important part is that the problem is solved.

Thanks to both Wombat and Kruzin for your input.

Comment

Ah... I just realized I posted another message without including my signature (which includes my system specs).

For those of you interested:

------------------
          System Specs:
          Asus P3V4X | VIA Apollo Pro133A
          Pentium III-B 650MHz (100MHz FSB)
          2x256MB Mushkin PC133 SDRAM
          Matrox Marvel G400 16MB
          Adaptec 2840UW SCSI
          Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
          Intel Pro/100+ Ethernet

Comment

I thought I'd post a quick update to the situation. I tried forcing the agp rate to 1x and putting the system back on the 140/35 setting. The artifacts returned. So be it. I'll just run at 866 MHz and be happy with the performance boost that I've gotten.

While I must admit that my curiosity over the exact cause of this problem persists, I'm certianly not going to lose any sleep over this.

Comment

Working...
            X