Quake3 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake3 won't start

I just update my Marvell G400 drivers and software, now Q3 won't run annymore. It does show the ID logo, but right after that it crashes.

AMD Athlon 700
    Abit KA7
    Matrox Marvell G400
    driver version 4.12.01
    powerdesk version 5.55

Hi Cyber-D

You can't use the 5.55 drivers with your motherboard. You have a VIA chipset. All of Matroxs 5.5x (not including the new 5.51 Win2k drivers) have issues with VIA chipset motherboards. try going back to the 5.41 with the 1.52 vid tools.

Comment

The Win2k 5.51 drivers work fine with that system config, but you need Quake3 point release 1.27. ....Most people just downgrade since many of the great Q3 mods don't like it. I have the similar problem to Cyber-D with the 1.17 point release
      hi

Comment

Hi Paradox

Yes they should work fine with that cfg but he is not using Win2k. If he were using Win2k then he would be using the 5.06 drivers (beta) or the 5.20 graphics only drivers. I think it's the combination of the 5.55 and VIA that may be crashing his system.

Comment

Well actually i use Windows 98. I used to play quake with the latest pointrelese and all with my OLD drivers. But after i updated the drivers and powerdesk and all, Quake crashed after the ID logo. So i reinstalled GLsetup from the QuakeCD and it works fine again now! But where can i find the latest TurboGl?

Comment

Right HERE!(103)
            jim
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Cyber-D, first off, completely remove the GLsetup OGL drivers and reinstall PD... they are not the latest, nor should be used with Matrox cards.

Ensure you have the latest Via 4n1 drivers installed for your MB.

FYI, TGL only works with PD 5.x drivers in Win9x/Me based systems.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm...TGL won't install. I get the error that the powerdesk version i have is not compatible. I have the latest powerdesk though.
                And why should i remove GLsetup? it works fine now. But will it work better or faster without it?

Comment

I think TurboGL only works with PD 5.xx

Are you now using PD 6? If so, then it's not required, needed or wanted if my Matrox knowledge is up to scractch

If it's working ok, then don't mess about!

Hehe,

P.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Mesa be using powerdesk 5.55

(sorry bout the JarJar talk)

Comment

Hey Cyber-D,

TGL will work with the 5.55 drivers but those drivers have issues with VIA chipsets. If you really want to use TGL then use it with the 5.41

Comment

Cyber-D,

It sounds like you got Quake 3 to run again. So... you're problem is basically solved.

I recently encountered a few problems with a couple OpenGL based games. The first thing I was reminded of was the old adage that the newest driver is not always the best driver.

I was trying to run MDK2 with the 1.0.0.117 OpenGL drivers. When playing as Max, the pictures of the guns were all scrambled. I removed those and installed 1.0.0.114 drivers that game with the game. That cleared up the problem beautifully.

Basically, if you've found a way for Quake 3 to run... excellent! Stick with it, unless you have a very compelling reason to change drivers.

Comment

Pace,

I too have heard that you can't/shouldn't run the TurboGL drivers with the PowerDesk 6.x series drivers. Strangely enough, I am. I don't exactly know how this happened, because I used the uninstall utility before I installed the 6.10 driver pack.

I'm looking at my 'Information' tab in powerdesk, and it clearly shows that TurboGL driver v5.30.007.003 is running on my system.

Seems a little odd to me. (unless the uninstaller didn't do it's job completely)

[This message has been edited by ChronosZero (edited 14 March 2001).]

Comment

Yeah, it worls fine now. But maybe it would work better with the turboGL drivers? So that's why i want to install them.

Comment

Yes you can run TurboGL drivers with PD 6.X driver packages. Uninstalling PD doesn't remove the TurboGL drivers from the games directories. If PD 6.x is preventing you from installing TurboGL, uninstall the 6.x package, install a 5.x package, install TurboGL (try 5.52 and run some benches), and then you'll be able to install a 6.x package and still have TurboGL. I can get slightly better performance with TurboGL and I don't see bugs when running Q3A (except ... cinematics don't work w/ 6.x packages). This was run on a G400 Max and I don't know if it applies to a Marvel card.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X