G400 MAX + Athlon 1GHz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX + Athlon 1GHz?

Tomorrow I am installing my new box with an Athlon 1GHz in a MicroStar(MSI) K7T Pro 2-A Motherboard using a G400 MAX for graphics and I was wondering what drivers I should use, I play half-life/counter-strike alot but I want to play newer games too without any issues..

I have already downloaded the 4 in 1 VIA drivers and the latest drivers from Matrox, but someone mentioned that 5.51 is the best driver for halflife, and it just so happens that this is the driver I am currently using in my K6-2 300(all newer drivers crashed for me)..

So, should I stick to 5.51+tgl to be able to run halflife, and if I do so how much performance am I missing out on in newer games?

- Avron -

PD 5.51 is for Win2k, unless your running Win2k you can't use them. Also TGL is only for PD 5 Win9x setups. so...

if Win2k use PD 5.51
    if Win9x use PD 6.50.008

TGL is outdated
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I can second that

Comment

Ops I meant 5.52 hehe...

So I should use the latest drivers then? And there are no known issues or big problems with half-life or other games in Athlon+G400 systems? That sounds cool.. =)

Comment

Hey Avron,

just make sure you have the latest VIA drivers (4.29 i think) and in the BIOS set AGP 4x to OFF/DISABLE. Also you should disable AGP FAST WRITE. To make everything safe and sound force AGP 1x for the G400 with the MTSTU tool.

Voilá

Comment

I wouldn't worry about forcing the AGP 1x. I've never had a problem with my G400. I'm running 2x on my Abit KA7 and Athlon Classic.

amish
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Six Of One:
              just make sure you have the latest VIA drivers (4.29 i think) and in the BIOS set AGP 4x to OFF/DISABLE. Also you should disable AGP FAST WRITE. To make everything safe and sound force AGP 1x for the G400 with the MTSTU tool.</font>
              Hi all,
              I have recently upgraded my system to an Athlon as well (running @1,3GHz) and my G400MAX is running in AGP4x-mode with AGP-fastwrites enabled - I haven't had problems at all so far!
              So you should only disable these settings if you encounter any problems...
              regards,

Skystorm

Comment

Yeah, I have my MAX in a 1GHz Duron machine with everything tweaked out to the max and its rock solid stable.

Comment

Rylan and Skystorm, what MBs are you using?

- Avron -

Comment

More power to you guys, but i haven't seen a KX board yet that ran AGP 4x and AGP Fast Write stable. I don't know about KTs but i think it's pretty much the same. Anyway, i am glad to hear that newer boards don't suffer this problem.

Regards

Comment

I'm running the 6.10 drivers in Win98. Stable and fast. And I do play a good bit of CounterStrike.

------------------
                      Epox 8KTA3 w/ Duron 850@7.5*133 with Alpha 6035, 256MB Crucial 7E, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, IBM 45GB 75gxp, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-final), and Win98 (when I have to).
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm running on am Epox 8KTA2 board. The sucker is extremely stable and fast.. can't really complain, unless I start whining abou thow I want the G800 or whatver card :P

Comment

I still think the PD5.52 or 5.55 are the overall best Win98 ones on VIA/Athlon systems, very balanced between performance/stbility/features.

PD6 had lesser performance here, introduced Overlay-problems on the second head and din't fix anything I need - but then I don't play halflife.

P.S.: And yes, if TGL works with the game you want to play it's still the fastest.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avron:
                            Rylan and Skystorm, what MBs are you using?</font>
                            Sorry, I forgot to mention this:
                            I am running an Abit KT7A-Raid with Win2K (SP-1) and VIA 4in1 4.29 (the older beta-ones).

Skystorm

Comment

duron 650@910
                              g400max
                              abit kt7a raid, driver pd6.50

works perfekt for me ! but i am considering to try out these kyro2 babies in my second computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X