Q3A demos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3A demos

How do you run the built-in demos in Q3A 1.27h? I try executing from the console but demo002 just exits out and demo001 loads up Q3Tourney6 and exits before it starts the demo. How do I back rev if demos are broken on this patch? I'd rather not reinstall the game.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

V
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I have a file that will convert the pre 1.27 demo files but I don't know where to send it.

You will find a link to my e-mail on the Soap Box forum main page.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 08 March 2001).]
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

here's a demo converter

http://website.lineone.net/~akivlin/....99b)-BETA.zip

Comment

hi,

the official demo with 1.27 is

timedemo 1
          demo demo127

Comment

Thanks all!

Joel and mirp ... You both referenced Strider's Q3DC demo converter. I even found it mentioned on a site I was looking at yesterday, but not in their gaming forum. There's also a demo player that uses this converter but that doesn't do me any good for Q3A benchmarking.

Barbarella ... that's exactly what I need, thanks. Where did you find this info?

Where are the built-in demos located and how do you determine their names? Are they in the .pk3 files?

Comment

Demos can be found in the pk3 files, open them up with WinZip and look in the demos dir. Look for pak5.pk3 for the latest.

1.27 introduced network protocol dependent demo filenames, so demo127 is really demo127.dm_48 (the current network protocol being 48).

Unfortunately the built in demo browser doesn't recognize these types, tho the TA one does.

Ian.

Comment

You guys should check out how q3a looks on the Radeon, it's smokin'

Percuvius...

Comment

Thanks Ian. I forgot you can manage .pk3 files with archive utilities.

I wanted to benchmark my system with the latest BIOS on my P!!!/450 before upgrading to a P!!!/850. Weird thing is that it didn't have any effect on the demo127 times in 16 or 32 bit, 1024 or 1280 resolutions. My 3DMark 2000 times did improve.

Comment

Xortam,

I read it on a message board, but can't remember where

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Percuvius:
                      You guys should check out how q3a looks on the Radeon, it's smokin'

Percuvius...
                      </font>
                      Well you better get a fan on that puppy

System 1:
                      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                      Epox 8K7A
                      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                      SBLIVE 5.1
                      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                      3Com Hardware Modem
                      Teac 20/10/40 burner
                      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Anybody know what this new var does, com_zoneMegs? Don't see this listed on the console command/var sites.

Comment

com_soundmegs and com_zonemegs can be adjusted to provide better performance on systems with more than 64mb of memory. the default configuration is set to allow the game to run on a 64 MB system.

on a 128 MB system we would run with the following :

com_hunkMegs - 64
                          com_soundMegs - 16
                          com_zoneMegs - 24

Comment

I still can't figure out why my CPU upgrade didn't improve my frame rates in Q3A. I o/c'ed my Max to 108% and got anywhere from 7.17-8.66% improvement in frame rates. Upgrading my CPU from a P!!!/450 to P!!!/850 (100 MHz FSB) gave me the exact same frame rates. I can't believe that Q3A is fillrate bottlenecked even with a P!!!/450: MURC'ers have been saying it maxes out at around a 800-900 MHz PIII.

Comment

oh and i forgot,

Yes, I remember where I read it

http://console.quake3world.com

Comment

Working...
                              X