Currently building a system and looking for a video card. Comments plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently building a system and looking for a video card. Comments plz

Im in the midst of putting a new system together. a 1ghz t-bird on a Iwill KA266 mobo. i dont have the ram yet but in the mean time im looking for a vcard. im looking for a dual display compatible device to hook up to a monitor and my hdtv. Im leaning toward the g450 but am into gaming. anyone who uses the g450 and loves it, hates it plz respond. post your avg. fps as well.

also, are the overclockable?

ty

You might want to consider buying the HiPix card which decodes OTA HDTV broadcasts and allows recording to local storage. Otherwise, you could hook up the second head of a G4xx DH board, via VGA, do your HDTV for high resolution TV out. What did you want to do with the TV? Games, desktop, DVD, all of the above?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

little bit of games. mostly internet and experimenting. no need for dvd, thats a different system

Comment

The G4xx DH cards have the most flexible, feature rich dual head capabilities of any consumer card out there. The superior Matrox 2D quality is undisputed. The ATI and NVIDIA products will give you higher performance on 3D apps (read games) but that doesn't seem to be your priority. The G450 is a little better than the G400 for higher resolution clarity and second head bandwidth but isn't quite as fast as a G400 Max for 3D apps. I'd suggest you borrow a card until you see what Matrox will probably announce this month (new card, G800?).
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

borrow a card? never heard of that, what site holds that? Ive read in forums about the g800. im looking to spend around 150, maybe 2 if i can find the 'perfect' card. ive pretty much drowned out the new ge3's and considered the ATI VE, but didnt quite compare to the DH in dual display.

Comment

I doubt the "G800" will be under $200 USD, but you never know what Matrox has in mind. They may even come out with a new G450 chip variant. The word is that Matrox will be announcing something this month so I'd wait and see what that is. If Matrox does start shipping some new boards, they probably will reduce the price on their existing competing products. Or you could buy something cheap (non DH) that you wouldn't mind chucking in the near future if you can't find someone to lend you a card temporarily.

Comment

I was going to advise you one of two cards: The ATI Radeon or the G400 MAX DH. Nvidia´s 2D is untrustworthy, although its 3D performance is stellar.

Or...
              ...borrow an old, spare card from a friend (a G200, perhaps, or other?) if you can, until things in the graphics card market get a little clearer, in a month or two. It can save you a few dollars and make you buy the best card for the best price.

Comment

Certainly selection always remain behind thee.
                But I all the same would select G400MAX.
                For thy problems it quite will suffice, even if will begin to look films.
                To account game - on such machine of problems will not be - play and enjoy.
                Certainly in OGL NV is faster, but quality and price... Here is already disputable.
                I would select Matrox.

------------------
                P!!!-900/128Mb PC133
                WD200BB
                DVD Pioneer DVD-115
                SB PCI128
                CTX - PR500F
                MB GA-6OXM7E
                MGA G400 SH 32MB
                P!!!-900/128Mb PC133
                WD200BB
                DVD Pioneer DVD-115
                SB PCI128
                CTX - PR500F
                MB GA-6OXM7E
                MGA G400 SH 32MB

Comment

I agree - get a g200 - except, keep it!
                  Best *value* card around!

Just kidding!
                  I agree with Alec - if you got the need for power wait for the G800. It will BLOW the competition out of the water!!!

(statements implied may not have any intergrity or factual basis and is only for entertainment purposes)

Comment

I would Highly recommend the ATi Radeon it's
                    2d is excellent easily on par with matrox, it's 3d performance smashes the matrox and it looks awesome to boot, especially when compared to nVidia. The Radeon has HDTV support as well, unfortunately for dual display you need a Radeon VE, which is dirt cheap but comes without a T&L engine (charisma) and only has one pipeline. If you can live without dual display the all in wonder Radeon simply kicks ass it has a built in TV tuner with hdtv support S-video and composite in and out (with a breakout box)and unmatched DVD picture quality!

Percuvius...

------------------
                    P3-733EB@825mhz
                    256MB Infineon PC133@150
                    Gigabyte6vx7-4x VIA133A
                    Radeon AIW32DDR@188/188
                    Voodoo2/12
                    SB Live! X-gamer
                    Maxtor 7200rpm/30g
                    Plextor 12/10/32A
                    Pioneer 10x DVD
                    PanasonicP11021"monitor
                    ADSL 1.5MB

Comment

Hey Ozzman,

since you have a lot of power (1GHz T-Bird, in my book that is power ;-) ) available and you are on a budget i would opt for a G400 DH or better G400 DH Max for superior dual head and acceptable gaming. If gaming is more important than DH, consider purchasing a seperate videoout card and a GF2MX or so.

While the G400 makes around 70 fps in HL (800*600*16) on my 600 MHz Athlon, it is dismal in "newer" games like Q3.

See here for example: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1423

But take into account that the new eDualhead feature, which is awesome BTW, was not available at this time.

Anyway, have fun.

Comment

ya thx
                        the only game i play is team fortress classic, a HL based shooter. i get from 25-40 fps 8x6x16 with a Piii 450 and tnt card. i cant imagine the G4xx be anyworse under a 1gig+ t-bird. i figure if i get 60fps that is an improvement and with the eDH its just another gain. i think i will wait for the 800 and see what happens with prices

Comment

Working...
                        X