Upgrading from Marvel G200 to G400 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from Marvel G200 to G400 ??

I've been using my marvel for about a year.. with no problems...
    The Marvel G400 got out a few weeks ago...

the only thing i could hope for more is the
    video capture quality and adjustability...

So, beside the performance of capturing (speed)

will i get the same quality as from my marvelG200 ? ( capture )

Is the MJPEG hardware encoder/decoder faster than the Marvel G200 ?

As for the rest of the capacities of the Marvel G400 i can get from the MAXTROX site...

Thanks!
    Mig.

------------------
    ------------------------------
    Hardware:
    Maxtrox Marvel G200-TV AGP.....|.Windows 98 SE
    PII 400 Mhz ( no overclock )......|.Maxtor 9.1 Gb (IDE)
    Asus P2B...............................|.Western Digital 8.4 Gb (IDE)
    256 Meg RAM..........................|.Maxtor 27.2 Gb (IDE)
    SB16 AWE32...........................|.Lexmark 7000
    Cable Modem

[This message has been edited by Migou (edited 26 October 1999).]

Hardware:
    Cable Modem

hi,
    if you look on these postings you should find your answer
    but from the information ive gleaned

a Marvel G200, compared to a G400 loses out
    becasue the G400 has a newer generation Maven (tv out, cleaner brighter colours)
    and decoder chip

everyone has been raving on the site about the quality of the output :O)

iwas gonna get a RRG and MAX but i switched to a marvel which came about 10 mins ago

Time for reinstall
    see you guys on the other side
    YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

CMB just about has it right.

You of course get the better performance of the G400 chip, which is enough right there to make the changeover. Added to that you have the output quality improvements noted by CMB.

YES, the output quality is that much better.

NO, you don't get any different data rates in the capture options. To be honest about it you don't need them given the improvements in video quality. They LOOK like you grabbed them at more than 3.102 mb/s.

Also nice is the inclusion of Ligos LSX MPEG Encoder LE for converting your clips to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. You also get a $100 break on the latest full version of Ligos if you find you need it.

One other change is the use of Ravisents (aka: CeQuadrant) Cinemaster as the DVD playback engine. MUCH MUCH better than Zoran (Yech!).

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 26 October 1999).]

Comment

I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say this, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has upgraded from G200 to G400 and ISN'T a Beta tester. Things always seem so much better when they're free.

Doc, I'm not sure if you fall under this umbrella. Are you a beta tester or are you just repeating the info gleaned from elsewhere.

Comment

Hi Scott,

I hope you feel that you can trust me ?

I just got a G400-TV for review, and that is exactly what I am doing with it right now. I'm not going to blow the whole review until I have finished it to my satisfaction, but on first impressions both the capture and TV-O functions are FAR superior to the G200 Marvel.

I should finish the review this week, and I will be concentrating heavily on the vidcap side of business. Look for it around the weekend.

Chris

Comment

Guys,

If you really want to see the difference between the Marvel G200 and the G400 just check out the mpeg clips that I created that show the colour and quality output.

Regards,
            Elie

Comment

Thanks all for your answers...

It respond to my questions.. ( in favor of the marvel G400 )

I did read some threads about it , maybe i missed the ones talking about the new maven TV-out chip... and new decoder...

Elie: I did get your .mpg (7Meg) ....
              It's a great capture... and like everyone said, it'S crisp, clear, sharp colors...
              Did you have a marvel G200 before? and if yes, did you capture the same clip with it to make comparisons ???
              I would be interrested to see the difference with the same video source.

Thanks again,
              Mig.

------------------
              Hardware:
              Cable Modem

[This message has been edited by Migou (edited 27 October 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Migou (edited 27 October 1999).]
              Hardware:
              Cable Modem

Comment

Does anyone know if the G400 Marvel can do overscan out? (specifically, can it resize vertically?) Can the latest G200 Marvel drivers do it?
                Thanks.

Comment

Chris,

Of course I can trust someone who Matrox shuns at every opportunity and fights for our cause. Looking forward to the review.

Comment

I wonder, how does the video capture and output quality of Marvel G400 compare to RR-S/Mystique 220 combo? I understand that probably all you lucky G400 users can't directly compare this products anymore, as most likely you have ditched the "legacy" card long time ago, but what is your subjective impression?
                    Actually, Chris, I remember you still have RR-S in one system. Maybe you could include such a comparison in your upcoming review?

Comment

Scott, they don't always shun me

Alexei, I wish this was possible. My 220/RR-S outfit is installed in my Dads PC 200 miles away. But I would rate the G200 Marvel and RR-S around the same overall quality. G400 is looking better, despite the fact that it uses the same codec chipset and datarates.

Comment

Thanks anyway, Chris. For some reason I thought that Marvel G200 to a certain extent was a step back in video quality compared to RR-S.

Comment

To answer a previous question yes, I am a beta. That doesn't stop me from expressing hard-won opinions on which products are better than others once the tests are over.

The G400 IS better than the G200 in every way. That's no bull. This isn't to say that the Marvel G200 is a bad product. It's not. It's just that the Marvel G400 is that much of an improvement. Matrox and the betas worked very hard for it to be.

As for the the beta's opinions: take 'em for what they're worth. Just be aware that none of the video betas are kiss-Matrox's-butt types. Betas complain too, sometimes loudly ;-)

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X