Quake3 and 1.27g release: big problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake3 and 1.27g release: big problems

I get immediate GPF with this update (I play Q3Fortress).

Using drivers v6.04.

Should I update?

I did a full reinstall of Q3; no improvement.

I MUST resolve this quickly as I have a
    Match game coming.

Oh, yeah, system:

Matrox G400Max
    Asus P3v4x
    Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI adapter
    Diamond MX300 soundcard
    256MB Corsair ECC
    P3 550e FlipChip o/c to 733 with Peltier cooler

All was OK till 1.27. Can't even get the
    "bullet hole" graphic in single player.

Comment

I don't know whether this will help but I would try the 1.27h patch. It is a small patch from g to h ( < 1MB )...
      huh...what is GPF?

Comment

General Protection Fault
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey that's fast. An answer before I saw my own posted.

Comment

Du you have any DLL-files in your baseq3 or sub dir?

DLL's from earlier versions won't work with 1.27!

Check for an update of Q3Fortress compatible with 1.27, most of the mods of quake requires an update to work with 1.27!

Daniel

Comment

No extraneous dll's. I saved my configs (but not config.cfg), then wiped the quake3 directory after uninstalling.

Since I can't get the game working with another video card, I'm beginning to think that I may have a corrupt update.

As for 1.27h, the server is using 1.27g and I don't know if the h version will run. Well, I may as well try it 'cuz I'm getting nowhere with 1.27g.

I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks.

Comment

1.27h haven't caused me any problems running on either 1.27h or 1.27g pure servers.

1.27h gives me a healthy FPS boost to

Daniel

Comment

Apparantly both 1.27 versions are compatable with each other so you can connect to a 1.27g server with a 1.27h client.

Hmm, but still, I have 1.27g with the latest Q3F (beta 1h?) and it works fine on my G400. Maybe you do have a corrupt download.

I can't remember which G400 drivers I have I'll have to check when I get home (I think its the last but one, but I'm not sure)

Uppity[MeN]
                  Uppity

Comment

Ok, I've solved the problem.

Part was an indirect consequence of how id
                    now seems to handle vid switches for single
                    player.

1. - always be certain that no extraneous
                    drivers bits exist before you install a new
                    card or new drivers (get rid of turbo). ALWAYS USE THE ADD/REMOVE function in the Windows Control panel; do not just do a switch to VGA card (I wish Matrox was more
                    explicit about this)(duh).

2. - DO NOT install DirectX 8x until a less buggy version is available.

3. - If you have installed DX8, then uninstall it using the
                    stuff from http://www.ebrink.com/dxun/Direct.htm . Keep in mind that you will most likely need to extact the file msnp32.dll from NET7.CAB on your Win98 CD as DX8 replaces it, else you won't have any net access. Simply reinstalling W98 WILL NOT remove DX8.

4 - Install DX7.

5 - Install your video card.

OK, now for the id vid switching: It seems
                    that for single player you MUST be certain that the shortcut "RUN" MUST be MAXIMIZED, not NORMAL window. This gave me the most grief.

I hope that this will be helpful to others.

Let me say this: I like my Matrox card, it will still be used in another machine. But it just doesn't "make it" for Quake3 on DSL
                    in competition.

Comment

/Me groans having just installed DirectX 8

Although Q3F worked fine for me last night.

Anyhow - my G400 is fine for me in the leagues on my cablemodem. It rarely drops below 40fps with the gfx settings almost maxed (at 800x600)

Uppity

Uppity

Comment

Uppity:

I'm glad that DX8 works for you. Perhaps some of my problem with it is my "old" soundcard, a Diamond Monster 2 (vortex2).

I did run my G450Max at 800x600 with many features off or minimized. I capped my max
                        fps at 40. Now I cap it at 60.

An aside: I ran the timedemos from Upset Chaps http://ucguides.savageuniverse.com/Q...GuideDemos.zip

I got 66 and 44 fps @ 1024x748 for the 2 demos, respectively, with my new card, using the UC settings for "compromise."

I'm old and need all the advantage that I can get .

Comment

Hehe - I'm old too

Anyhow I've found one way to get rid of DX8. My HD packed up so I bought a new one and now I'm installing everything from scratch. I think I'll only go as far as DX7 because i "Think" DX8 stopped my joypad from working with Tomb-Raider 4.

What processor do you have anyhow - a max of 40fps seems a bet on the low side to me. IIRC I get around 80-90 in a small, empty corridor with a Duron 750 and G400 (non max). One thing I have noticed - setting Triliniar on gives a big drop in FPS for the G400's.

Uppity
                          Uppity

Comment

Working...
                          X