Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

somethings wrong with my g400 in counter-strike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• somethings wrong with my g400 in counter-strike...

Whoops timewarp.

It's just a jump to the left.....

and a step to the ri-i-i-i-ight....
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I've had the same problem.
      with my old celly300A@450 this happened in the summer the most, so i think it was due to heat.

Now i have an new system (p3 1ghz ) and after CS had worked one week suddenly i got the scrambled screen at cs-startup!!(when entering an level).

Setting my G400max to agp1x solved my problem though. (with my old sys i was unable to run agp2 and with new sys i've succesfully ran agp2 for one week )

i think your problem is either heat related or agp1x-2x related. Try setting it at agp1x.

I can live with the fact that my max only can do agp1 (that's the price of pre-ordering from matrox).

btw --> i play cs at 1024x768 and i am getting fps in the 60-80 range!!!.
      PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

On my G400MAX, the HSF's sticky pad that holds it on the chip lost its stick, and all that was holding it on was the 2 sprung screws at the side. This caused the card to overheat fairly rapidly.

If you can lift the heatsink off the chip against the springs, that is probably your problem too.

I now have a HSF from an old celeron stuck onto my G400MAX with conductive glue... works fine

------------------
        Unreal Fortress developer

Comment

I just recently retired my G400 for gaming. I bought a hercules prophet 2 MX (geforce). I am very happy with it and have no problems running it on win2000 or win98. I highly recommend for the price/performance. Also, Hecules has the best image quality of the MX boards. You don't really notice a difference untill above 1024x768.

My G400 was doing O.K. but on some levels like cs_office it was choking badly. Where I was getting 25fps I now get 55fps on cs_office.

Now I have my G400 at work. So I get the best of both worlds. Good 2-d at work and good 3-d at home.

PII400@450
          P2B Asus
          160MB Ram
          A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
          because in that way the child learns to lie.
          Babylonian Talmud

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say that your CPU just wasn't fast enough for office. I don't get the slowdowns you're talking about.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If my CPU wasn't fast enough I don't I would have gotten a 30 fps increase by swithing to geforce2MX, which is not considered a high performance gaming card. 30fps is a big jump. So the G400 was a bottleneck in my system. How much I don't know? Would I have gotten a bigger performance increase by inserting a P3 800, don't know? But on monday I will. I got my G400 back from work and on Monday I am buying a P3 800 (this is the fastest I can have on My BX without overclocking). I plan on using a combination of:
              P3-800 G400
              P2-400 G400
              P3-800 Geforce2MX
              P2-400 Geforce2MX

and see what the results are.

Of course i do like playing CS on servers with 16-20 people on it. And that what the 25fps came from.
              Babylonian Talmud

Comment

Let's rephrase:
                Your CPU wasn't fast enough for the G400. The G400 gains significant performance with CPU speed to 800MHz+.

------------------
                MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 256MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Plextor 12/10/32A, IBM 45GB 75gxp, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH7.0 (2.4.0-test8), and Win98 (when I have to).

Comment

somethings wrong with my g400 in counter-strike...

well it all started a week or two ago. i was playing counter-strike, and all of a sudden i would see a lot of snow and fuzzy stuff on my screen such as when you overclock too high. so i shut down my computer, and i let it cool off for a few minutes. i turned it back on, and set the clock speed lower to 135/180. then it happened again a few days later, but after a long time of playing. i also noticed, that when i created my server, the screen would become currupt only after a few minutes.

nothing else in my system is overclocked (anymore). but i don't think my g400 is too hot... i have a decent cooling device on the pci slot below the agp slot, cooling the g400 a lot better than a 486 fan.

is my g400 near its death? i might need to shop for a new video cardo soon, because im a hardcore counter-strike gamer and the g400 barely cuts it anymore. i made my mouse sensitivity to the max and it gets choppy, even when i set it at 640x480. any suggestions for cards? but i would rather see if theres just driver curruption with my g400 or some cooling problem before i turn to a new card, because my g400 is still great in 2d and some 3d games...

------------------
                  AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                  Asus K7V Motherboard
                  384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                  20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
                  30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
                  ATAPI 40X max Generic CD-ROM
                  IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                  SB Live Value
                  Matrox Millenium G400 32MB @ 147/196
                  SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
                  3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
                  Windows 98 SE
                  6.20 G400 Drivers
                  AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                  Asus K7V Motherboard
                  384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                  Generic DVD-ROM
                  IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                  SB Live Value
                  Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
                  Windows ME
                  6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

There's something wrong with your system in general. My system is roughly comparable, but I don't have any problems in CS. I play @ 800x600, and my framerate never dips below the low 30's, and usually keeps in the 50's. My mouse sensitivity is 19.6, if I remember.

Comment

No Venturer, it's not wrong. I have seen better numbers than mine out there with faster processors. @750MHz, I still have some performance to gain (not much, but I know the card would throw out slightly different numbers).
                      With different games, that are more CPU intensive in their non-graphics work, an 800/850 might notices a little difference. Be careful who you're trying to knock down.

Comment

When I had a P2-400 and G400 the low framerates was getting on my nerves. At the time I had only enough money to buy either a new CPU or a graphics card, not both.
                        The CPU P3-800 was $337 CDN
                        The geforce2MX was $229 CDN

I wanted to make the right choice since I would live with it for a while. The P2-400 was fine for my desktop apps. I never had complaints about speed. This decision was souly based on gaming performance.

I went with the geforce2MX because it was the cheapest upgrade.

Wombat>"The G400 gains significant performance with CPU speed to 800MHz+."

Yes, but which would have been the best significant improvement a new card or CPU. Thats the guess I had to make, before choosing which upgrade to get. Now that I am getting a P3-800 I can to tests to see if I made the right decision.
                        Babylonian Talmud

Comment

Sorry, but it s wrong: The G400 is FILL RATE limited with 750/800Mhz CPU!
                          I ve a G400MAX; ATHLON 1000 "Classic" and i get 52 fps at 1024 x 768 32bit in CS!
                          ATHLON XP 2600; Abit KX7-333Raid; 1GB SDRAM DDR PC-3200 Corsair XMS; Matrox Parhelia AGP 256; HITACHI 7K250 250GB; HITACHI 120GXP 120GB; HITACHI 120GXP 60GB; Sound Blaster Audigy 2; Plextor DVDRW PX-716A; Plextor CDRW Premium

Comment

sorry its been like a month and i havent gotten back to you guys yet... i finally took a screenshot of it, and this is what it looks like:

nothing in my system is overclocked anymore. i havent tried setting it to agp1x, but i dont know why i would have to. it worked fine before. there was one thing i noticed... it happened AFTER i put my mouse into a usb port instead of ps2 (i had a converter). the reason i did this, is because my computer would LAG when it was in the ps2 every once in a while and i started getting mad.

the speed of counter-strike isnt my concern, i set it at 800x600 and i usually get above 50, unless theres a major warzone.
                            AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                            Asus K7V Motherboard
                            384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                            Generic DVD-ROM
                            IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                            SB Live Value
                            Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
                            Windows ME
                            6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

ok 2 things, 1st, to make sure its not a heat problem, you could try running the game with your case opened, that way, the card'll be much cooler

2nd, your screenshot looks pretty freaky! Makes me think of how the screen looks if you play with MGA Tweak's settings and set bad memory timings, might it be that you are still running MGA Tweak and after a few minutes ur memory runs hotter and then gives u errors?? If you're still running MGA Tweak, try to put back the original memory settings.. who knows..

Comment

Working...
                              X