Half-Life and OpenGL ogl, and D3D direct 3d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-Life and OpenGL ogl, and D3D direct 3d

I have a problem with Half-Life HL. When I run the game in OpenGL OGL, it runs fine until I'm kicked out, press escape, or press alt+tab (switching applications apps, swaping applications apps). When i try to resume, go back in, or switch or swap back to the game. It doesn't let me. It continues to swap the screen minimizing and maximizing over and over again. A similar problem happens when I run the game in Direct 3D D3D. When I switch, kicked, esc out. It wont let me back in. It shows a title bar in the top left corner of the screen labeled "Half-Life" and it has my mouse pointer with in this box and I am able to move it around with in the confines of the Title bar.

I've had this problem for over a year. In Windows 98, ME, 2000 all of them. Always had this problem. I've looked on this forum for many months now to find an answer. Mostly I found nothing. When someone asked this question everyone replied "Mine works fine, but I don't know why your does that."

I don't care if yours works unless you had the same problem as me and: KNOW HOW TO FIX IT!!!!

Is that a threat or a plead for help, cause I sure the heck can't tell!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hehehe. Shouting. This is funny.

Good luck.

Rags

Comment

The only times I've heard of this problem is when the user was running a warez version of the game.
        This is not to accuse that you are not legit on your software, I'm just saying this is known to happen on ripped off versions, while legit copies don't seem to have the problem you describe.

IOW, mine works fine, but I don't know why yours does that.

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 14 February 2001).]
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Knowing that other peoples' works fine is almost as helpful as knowing other peoples' don't work. If everybody else's system works, then your problem is close to unique, and thus that is a good point to begin the troubleshooting.

First off, you haven't posted a whole lot for us to work with. Not that I know how to solve your problem, because I don't even have Half-Life on my system, nor have I ever played it before.

Perhaps it would behoove you to post some of your system specs. Maybe driver versions? Maybe a version of the game could be relevant? If you've been having this problem for a year, and it gives you problems in 2.5 different OSes (98 + ME = 1.5) then it is probably a result of something that is consistent among the three OSes.

Maybe there's a forum somewhere on the web devoted to Half-Life? Maybe the friendly folks who wrote it could provide you with a little bit of support.

Why do you get kicked out? That sure sounds like a problem of its own to me.

b
          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Comment

I put two references (i.e. Direct 3D D3D) so it makes it easier to find. Not everyone calls everything the same thing. This problem was described in many ways, not always with the same words.

Comment

... no offence... but why crack it? you said in yr original post that you experienced the problem when you were kicked off... i'm assuming that this means that you've been playing online, in which case you don't need the cd in the drive *unless i've been tricked by my computer*

[VGM] Jangie
                http://www.mp3.com/djjangie

*play our cstrike server at vgm.myip.org:27015*

Comment

IVIaxim, if you do a search on any of the double entries you've posted you will find a blue million "hits". In order to do a quick & successful search one must use something unique like "IVIaxim". Or more specific their thier unique problem like, I'm useing a "cracked" "Warez" version of HL and it doesn't work in any OS I've tried. Help!

Ditto Jangie
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thank you for the info...I do have a legit copy however it is cracked for the convinience of not have to put the CD in evey time I play the game....It is probly what it is..i've cracked it ever since I've had it....I don't have time to try it now but I'll look into it...It wasn't a threat.....just saying that this help forum can not be helpful at times...

Comment

This forum is probably the most helpful if the person needing help is actually willing to receive the help given to him/her. There are some things that have no real solutions because of hardware/driver limitations.

Rags

Comment

I experienced the same problem with HL(OGL) ver 1.1.0.4 with "esc" and quick saves.
                        The problem was solved after installing the 6.04 WHQL G400 drivers and using the Matrox Tweak Utility to set AGP to 1x and set to "accuracy".
                        My HL is a legit copy and I play with it in the CD drive.

Now when I hit escape, the game goes to a black screen momentarily, I can hear 2 clicks in the background, associated with the min/max of game screen, before it comes back up to menu or game but it doesn't hang.

BTW: I had horrific problems with all OGL games. I now can play everything and anything
                        due to the helpful and very patient people at the MURC.

------------------
                        Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

[This message has been edited by derah (edited 19 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by derah (edited 19 February 2001).]
                        Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

Comment

Derah, thanks for the info i'll try that as soon as I can. I just want to say that I am frustrated for all the people who didn't get an answer to this question. That is why I yelled. Thank you moderator Kruzin for helping, athority figures, those who have more power are often looked up to more if they help (albeit with a joke but, understandable ;-) ). Rags?? hmm...

Quote:

If I got kicked out of a game?? I don't even play on the net...I havea 56K...its pointless...and anyway..if I got kicked out...there would be no game to return to...Think before you speak Rags...don't make yourself look dumb, thats not cool. Oh and the post about the forum being helpful was unnescisary, this forum has helped me with my video editing more than anything.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Quote:

If I got kicked out of a game?? I don't even play on the net...I havea 56K...its pointless...and anyway..if I got kicked out...there would be no game to return to...Think before you speak Rags...don't make yourself look dumb, thats not cool. Oh and the post about the forum being helpful was unnescisary, this forum has helped me with my video editing more than anything.
                            </font>
                            Calm down. First off, it was ME, NOT Rags, who posted that. Perhaps YOU should think before you speak?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When I run the game in OpenGL OGL, it runs fine until I'm kicked out, press escape, or press alt+tab </font>
                            My comment was in response to the above quote (in your first post), where YOU said until you get kicked out. I was not trying to ask a smart ass question, I was asking why you got kicked out. Perhaps you misunderstood my question? You see, "kicked out" could mean a few different things. I was assuming that you were referring to the game crashing or something of the sort, in which case it would be a problem of its own that the game was crashing.

Before you get all irate about things, think about what was written, who wrote it, and what the person might have meant. I was not sure what you meant, and I simply posed a question. No need for you to get all upset about it and start insulting people who didn't even say it.

b
                            Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Hey IVIaxim, if you have been luking around here for that long and don't know who some of these people are, then you are the one that's clueless, no?
                              A supository or two might help in preventing your head from being stuck. Even though, I can see that you're a special case since it took you a year before asking for help, please don't spoil it with an overly active sphincter.

FYI OpenGL = OGL; Direct 3D = D3D, they mean the same thing, so only one reference is neccessary for us to understand and of course all comp techs know that, Aye?!

Comment

Working...
                              X