Setting up Q3A server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Q3A server

I am trying to set up a SMP public Quake3Arena server for a local internet cafe. Can anyone point me to a good site for basic/advancded setup information? Thanks!

Whenever I finished the setup I'll need you Q3A guys to stress-test it out.

http://www.3dgw.com/guides/q3a/

and specifically
    http://www.3dgw.com/guides/q3a/index.php3?page=vars.htm

btw. CPU speed and memory of a dedicated don't really affect ping times and lag as much as connection bandwidth. I can serve up to 16 players without too much of a CPU load on my Celeron 333MHz with 192MHz RAM running Linux and a dedicated Q3A server

Comment

dZeus:

Thank you for the link. The SMP machine will be hosting several game servers so its got Dual PIII 1000's and 512mb of ram and is plugged to the T1 pipe straight to the ISP(me, the Low Ping Bastard ).

Comment

with a public Q3 server you intend to set up, does that mean I can play without a CD-key on your server with my game (bought the game used, did not know about the importance of teh CD key thingy for playing the game...rats)

thanks

b

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bongo:
          with a public Q3 server you intend to set up, does that mean I can play without a CD-key on your server with my game (bought the game used, did not know about the importance of teh CD key thingy for playing the game...rats)

thanks

b
          </font>
          You will need an Unique CD-Key to play on the servers. Where you can find that CD-Key is up to you..

Comment

Okay, here we go:

Any pointers are appreciated!

Comment

hmm... 150 ms ping isn't too bad for a connection to the US

jsut get rid of those bots on your server... bots are really annoying, as they are far too weak to be any challenge in a real game. Try to establish a good name by providing as low latency/packetloss games as possible, and people will get to your server without bots

Comment

Thanks for the advice, dZeus!

One of the bots is automatically kicked whenever a Real play gets into the game. I keep a minimum of 5 bots/players in the game so its not too empty. I agree with you that the bots are too weak and they dont offer that good of challenge. I am still experimenting with the server settings like bot skill level, using custom maps and mods, level rotations, etc. Please frequent my server and let me know how its going.

Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                X