Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the G450 scale with high-end CPU's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the G450 scale with high-end CPU's?

Hello all,

Just wondering if it's worth my moolah to buy a Thunderbird 1.3ghz (when they come out) instead of a P3-850 using a Matrox 32mb G450.

Does the G450 hit the wall at a certain cpu speed? I'm talking about running things in low res since higher res the G450 will be too slow no matter what the CPU.

I'm not interested in buying another video card since gaming consists of 1% of my time

THanks
    Bok

I recall hearing that it maxed out about 7-800 MHz on a PIII.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah, you're right on the borderline.
      My frame-rates went up from an Athlon 750 to a 1GHz Duron, but I don't know just where the diminishing returns hit.
      Also, this is with a G400MAX, and the G450 is slower. You probably wouldn't get much more with a faster processor. Maybe spend the money on RAM, or devote your effort to trying to overclock the G450.

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 08 February 2001).]
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You won't notice difference after P3 900,
        i have 800@920 and running it 960 doesn't
        speed up games.
        clatto verata nectKRHMM...

Comment

ok thanks guys.

Can't wait for the next Matrox card!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wombat:
            Yeah, you're right on the borderline.
            My frame-rates went up from an Athlon 750 to a 1GHz Duron, but I don't know just where the diminishing returns hit.
            Also, this is with a G400MAX, and the G450 is slower. You probably wouldn't get much more with a faster processor. Maybe spend the money on RAM, or devote your effort to trying to overclock the G450.

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 08 February 2001).]
            </font>
            How do I overclock the G450? I can't find any utility that supports G450 oc.

[This message has been edited by Cyber-Spanky (edited 09 February 2001).]

Comment

http://www.tweakfiles.com/video/powerstrip.html
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X