Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QWTFers!

Hi

Have a slightly weird problem here. In Quakeworld Team Fortress on map 1on1r, the display seems shaky. The feeling is like playing with 15 fps, but when I use 'show_fps 1' it says 50 fps. So yeah, no idea why.

I'm using 5.33.006 drivers for Win2k. Anyone else have the same problem? And while I'm at it, which drivers do you think are best for QWTF?

Thanks heaps!
    Shoyu

------------------
    Celeron 300A, Asus P2B, 384MB PC-133, Matrox G400 MAX, SBLive! DE5.1.

Run a timedemo. The show_fps thing doesn't mean squat.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

OK, just recorded a demo to test timedemo. Still the same situation. When I was recording, the playability was like 15fps, very shaky, but once I quit and timedemo'ed the demo, the result was 84.5 fps.

Weird indeed. I recently installed the Live! DE card, and so that's a major suspect. But then again, I've never played on 1on1r before. But if the demo played fine, it couldn't be my sound card right?

Cheers for any additional help.
      Shoyu

Comment

Prolly a network issue. I recall something about limiting your maximum FPS to correct for network speed, or some such. If I could only remember who posted about it. It was one of the regulars - Maggi or Kruzin or someone.

- Gurm

------------------
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Hi,

Are you getting an intermittant stutter? If so, check for process running in the background by hitting ctrl-shift-esc and look at the processes. See if there is anything out of the ordinary. There are a lot of processes running in win2k by default, many of them can be disabled using the administrator tools. One thing you can try is running Quake in high priority mode, this will all but eliminate any background processes interupting to do this simply make a batch file (you can also modify your shortcut for this, but it's a bit different from doing it this way) in it should look something like this :
          echo off
          Start /high nameofgame.exe

Look in the shortcut for your quakeworld team fortress for the exact command line for quakeworld teamfortress, and all it's switches and put it in the place of nameofgame.exe.

Then all you will need to do is run the batch file.

Rags

Comment

No, not intermittant stutter. On map 1on1r, it's obvious that it's different. It's as if it's a nasty driver bug of some kind. I do have intermittant stutter on other maps though, and have tried your high priority method which works fine for those maps thanks. But not sure if I should use it, as my internet connection and NFProxy also needs resources. (It was particularly slow when connecting to Proxy with high priority for Qw)

Hmm, about to give up soon. So is no one else having the same problem? Might re-install W2k...

Cheers for help guys.

Comment

are you using shaded ball lighting? or real world lighting? If it's the latter, try disabling dynamic lighting with r_dynamic 0

Comment

For qwtf, it only worked well on the 9x side if TurboGL was used. I don't know what that means for 2000 though.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It means, potentially, SOL. I haven't tried QW in a long time. Get Quake3. Heh.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

These are what work for quake1....
                    1. Try adding -fullsbar to the command line
                    2. Add these to your autoexec.cfg:
                    r_dynamic 0
                    gl_flashblend 1
                    _snd_mixahead .32
                    3. Make sure fxmemmap.dll is not in your
                    quake dir. (check spelling)
                    4. TGL is optional. (you can't take screen shots with it)

chuck

PS I timedemo glquake @800x600 over 100 fps using non-turbo ogl.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

is it only that map it does it on? i remember when i used to have win2k, qwtf & glqwtf was fine. now that cheaters have taken over counter-strike, im back to it. if you're using regular qwtf, try using glqwtf. you get a hell of a performance boost and image quality boost.
                      AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                      Asus K7V Motherboard
                      384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                      20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
                      30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
                      Generic DVD-ROM
                      IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                      SB Live Value
                      Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
                      SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
                      3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
                      Windows ME
                      6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

OK, well all of a sudden, the problem isn't weird anymore. show_fps finally tells me that I DO get low fps on the map 1on1r.

I've listened to some of you (thanks!), and disabled r_dynamic (I prefer on though) which raised my fps by quite a lot on that map. I guess 1on1r uses a LOT of dynamic lighting?

With the command _snd_mixahead .32. What does it do? I use .14, and after testing I still prefer to use .14.

Not sure if -fullsbar helped at all, but I've stuck it in anyway What does that do?

And also, I used to use TGL when I played in Win98. I've deleted the opengl32.dll some time ago, and now I'm wondering whether I did the right thing. TGL seems smoother, especially for low resolutions. Would anyone be able to send me opengl32.dll from TGL1.3? or does it not work in Win2k at all?

All help appreciated.
                        Shoyu

Comment

The win2K drivers and TGL don't work together at all.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 29 January 2001).]

Comment

Dark Horizon,
                            There are cheaters out there in CS, but not quite so many. Also, check out PunkBuster, the anti-cheating program/server add-on.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Shoyu,
                              -fullsbar fixes a problem that the Matrox OGL has with GLQuake's Status bar.

_snd_etc. hase something to do with a sound buffer theat I have heard helps stuttering on some maps.

Did you try gl_flashblend 1? (I think it gets you some of your lights back after turning off dynamic lighting)

chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X