Q3 Freezing with a G400 Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q3 Freezing with a G400 Max

I just put together this new machine consisting of the following specs.
    Duron 650@1000
    128 megs of infineon ram
    matrox g400 max
    msi kt7 pro2a
    20 gig maxtor diamondmax hard drive
    Windows 2000 pro
    Everything went together fine, I installed the via 4in1 drivers, the agp and usb patches. Then I installed dx8 and the maxtrox drivers, ver 533, from this site. Everything seems to run fine, I loaded quake 3 today and it keeps freezing up, the temps are fine, and it is doing the same thing when the cpu runs at default. I put the agp aperature at 128 megs. I haven't had a matrox card in a bit so I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything or if anyone else has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Daniel

<H4> DOH!

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 30 January 2001).]
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Say Wombat, read it again ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">... and it is doing the same thing when the cpu runs at default</font>
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I posted in the first message that it also does it at 650.

Comment

Doh.

Comment

Does it play at all, or does it just freeze your system upon opening?

Rags

Comment

It'll play for a bit, sometimes for 15 mins or so, then freeze the whole system.

Comment

Okay, first thing to do is goto start/run/dxdiag and see if AGP is enabled. If it is, then run the MTS utility, and force AGP 1X and see if this helps. Post back with the results.

Rags

Comment

AGP Texture Accelerator says not available, is this what you were referring to, and if so what is the MTS utility?

Comment

i have this problem too with a g400 vanilla. i can't remember what i did to get rid of it though. even so, it still comes and goes. i know that i didn't have the problem with the old turboGL drivers. try turning down some features too, like res, texeture detail and such and see if it still happens. also i'm running at agp 2x, soooo......

buback

Comment

Go exactly where I said before and select the "Display" tab, there should be a box there saying AGP Enabled (or Disabled). What does it say? You can find the new MTS utility at www.murc.ws

Rags

Comment

I loaded that utility last night, turned agp to 1x, dxdiag still says its disabled not sure if that is normal or not.
                        Anyway I left 3dmark on overnight and it was off this morning so it quit.
                        Is this just a issue with the new drivers, can I just install the old ones or is there a better option?
                        thanks again,
                        Daniel

Comment

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/010154.html

It seems that for many AMD users, win2k 5.3x drivers disable AGP texturing with DirectX.

5.20 is the last driver you can use that doesn´t have this problem, so use it.

Matrox bug, Via bug, Win2k bug, DirectX bug, we are taking bets

About your lockups, try to firmly reseat the G400 on the AGP slot. Really. I had the same problem with my tb-900/Asus A7V. Lots of random lockups even at default clock speeds. tryed several bios, several DIMMS, a 300W powersupply, nothing. Because the lockups were mainly with 3d games, I tried to remove the G400, clean up the contacts and reseat it firmly. All the lockups are gone since then.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 30 January 2001).]

Comment

Thanks I'll try checking the contacts too, I just swapped in my radeon 64 ddr from another box and it runs fine like that, its wierd cause my other box had a max and a via based board for a long time and I never had any problems.

Comment

Relocating to Matrox Gaming forum...
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X