Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New beta D3D and OpenGL renderers for UT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New beta D3D and OpenGL renderers for UT.

New beta D3D and OpenGL renderers January 19, 2001 - by Daniel Vogel

This is a zip with beta versions of both a new D3D and OpenGL renderer. The new D3D renderer uses DirectX8 which should result in improved performance due to improved texture management. It also now supports the DXT1 compressed textures from the 2nd UT CD. The OpenGL renderer is now up- to date with the D3D renderer and needs some settings added to the OpenGLDrv setting of your UnrealTournament.ini file.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

RefreshRate=60
    UseTrilinear=False
    UseS3TC=True
    UseTNT=False
    LODBias=0
    UseMultiTexture=True
    UsePalette=True
    UseAlphaPalette=False

unreal.epicgames.com/

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Thanks Joel

Comment

Just tried them and they are both a no go for me.

The new D3D renderer I notice is 140KB where the older one was 212KB. When using the new renderer it fails out and the game runs in a window in software mode.

With the OpenGL renderer you loss all textures. All I see are shades of grey blocks with a few colored blocks every now and then.

Joel

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

same here, windowes and pretty darn slow

Comment

apparently it works if you turn off pre caching (for d3d at least)

Comment

Didn't make any difference here.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

is this for UNTREAL or UT???? I was on that site & it was UNREAL not UT, can it be good for UT to ???

thanks
              PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

doesn't work here either

------------------

Comment

yes, it works FINE but on my CreativeLabs Gforce2MX 32ddr with OPENGL, I even get a performance boost when I use this new OPENGL.drv .Before I use Loki OPENGL.drv wich gives the S3TC support for Gf2 & RADEON cards in UT & in 1024x768x32 with 12 bots in CTF-LAVA GIANT I get AVRAGE FPS from 55-61 Lowest around 25 ,HIGHEST around 105 now with this new OPENGL.drv I got AVRAGE FPS Around 60-68 lowest 35 & highest unbeliveble 125 FPS..this is a real BOOST but not with inclided *.inf update then the performance are just bed, arround 50 fps I change it to this :

UseS3TC=1
                  UseTNT=0
                  MinDepthBits=16
                  MaxLogUOverV=8
                  MaxLogVOverU=8
                  UseMultiTexture=1
                  UsePalette=1
                  UseAlphaPalette=0
                  ShareLists=0
                  AlwaysMipmap=1
                  DoPrecache=0
                  Translucency=True
                  VolumetricLighting=True
                  ShinySurfaces=True
                  Coronas=True
                  HighDetailActors=True
                  DetailTextures=True
                  UseTrilinear=False
                  MaxAnisotropy=0
                  SupportsLazyTextures=0

& the performance icrased highly under OPENGL

AS for D3D..well it crashed few time, it has some problem with PRECHASHING , so I desabled that in UT.inf & I was able to run the game but with wery,wery,bed performanc about 28 FPS for avrage ,lowest 18fps highest 35fps..but with TEXTURE COMPRESSION enabled I cen see the diference betwen original D3D.dll & this new ONE, actualy it looks same sa OPENGL with S3TC support but with LAGY performance..

here a link if you want see how S3TC looks on Gf2 cards : http://www.guru3d.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000551.html

I made this shots with LokiOPENGL.drv @ that time..1024x768x32, CTF-FACE RED BASE icon & CTF CORET..
                  PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

I sent a bug report to Epic about this at

utbugs436@epicgames.com

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

I used the LOKI .INI settings with the new ogl .dll. Performance was the same as LOKI and I noticed no difference, The new DX8 driver was terrible. This was on my Geforce 2 GTS 64m Directx 8 Windows 2000 6.62 Drivers.

On my G400 the ogl .dll had the white textures. Same with Loki. Wetn back to 4.36 OGL and all was well. New D3D .dll made UT appear in a Window.
                      C:\DOS
                      C:\DOS\RUN
                      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Working...
                      X