No announcement yet.

Should I disable 2nd head when gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I disable 2nd head when gaming?

Seeing as maybe DirectX cuts memory in half, should i disable the 2nd head to get my entire 32mb of ram (i have a G450 32mb DDR)

Also, when disabling the 2nd head, I would have to reboot right? That appears to be a pain...

Thanks

You don't need to completely disable it, but it is helpful to go into your display properties, select the secondary display and uncheck the "extend windows desktop onto this monitor" checkbox. This will not require a reboot, but will shut off the display to that monitor (this is a must for OGL games running under Win9x). After finished gaming, just re-extend your desktop (again, no reboot needed).

Completely disabling DH multi-monitor (which does need a reboot) will help a bit more however...

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 19 January 2001).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin is correct about simply disabling the extended desktop, but if you want the other 16 MB of memory of your video card, then you will have to reboot. Sorry, but that's the way windows drivers are

Rags

Comment

Thanks guys, it is a slight pain in the butt, I did get a couple fps increase in UT.

Probably better to get a faster CPU.

Comment

Working...
        X