Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topics. Bootmagic and DiscWizard

Hi all,

Tonite I have installed a new Seagate capture drive and used Seagates DiscWizard to try and set it up. It was a dismal disaster and i ended up setting it up from DOD. However now i have a problem.

I have 2 partitions on My C: drive. One for general use and one for video only. I use Partition Magic and BootMagic to access these drives.

Now boot magic will not work. When i try to set it active I get and Error message.

"Error: 164 The configuration of Disk Manager on this drive prevents Bootmagic installation"

The help on this is useless.

At present I have "unhided" the video partition and using FDISK to set the active partition to boot to the video partition.

I can live with this until I get time to FDISK to the drive and set it all up again. Something I don't want to do until i replace my PC next year.

Any one gotten any ideas??
    Eli, Doc??

Thanx in advance.

Paul.Warner@bigfoot.com
    paulw

Hi Paulw,

I have one question for you, why did you use Discwizard in the first place? I don't remember the need for this software, other than for old 486 systems...

What I believe, is that this software interferes with the bootsector of your drive. As you may not need the discwizard software on the drive, maybe you should check whether you can remove any discwizard interference from the bootsector of that drive. Maybe you should use the DOS util of the software for that.

Maybe my suggestions are wrong for you as you may have one of the first pentiums (66 or 75). But I don't think that such a system would be MJPEG capture capable system.

Good luck,

Marijn

Comment

Once I made same thing with Fujitsu drive. I cannot remember why I decided to do so.
      All manufacturers have similar utilities for compatibility with very old systems.
      It was working, but the performance was poor.
      The only way to remove the program was to download low level format utility and let it work for several minutes.
      Then I could set the drive as LBA and format it. Otherwise, the program was always active.

Grigory

Comment

Hi Marijn,

Yes I used the DiskWizard from within widows to FDISK and format the new harddisk. I discovered that as I am using a Abit Hotrod 66 drive controller for this drive that Diskwizard could not see the drive installed. I then put the drive on the cable that my CDROM is on and ran diskwizard. That's when it told me that my bios did not suport drives larger than 8.5G.

I then removed diskwizard and went to DOS and did an FDISK from there. I only got 8GIG from the disk but this will do until next year when I upgrade the PC. I suspect that there is a hidden file in the C: boot sector with the Seagate large drive overlay program installed. I will try and find this tonite.

Mant thanx

paulw

Comment

Working...
        X