Alice and G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice and G400

Hey everyone, i just got American McGee's Alice, and i was so excited to play it, but when i boot up the game, the front end is a maze of black and grey 'blocks'. The music plays, but i cant do ANYTHING and they just sit there and flicker!! I know my drivers are ok bcoz i play quake3 on this machine and it works fine...anyone else have this problem or a possible solution?

p3-450, 128 meg , g400 16meg , SB Live! Value, Quantum 13gb

Update: i am running Windows 2000, maybe that has something to do with it?? It said in the readme it had been tested with win2k though...

I also did manage to get into the game, but the graphics are all corrupted and the entire game plays in black and grey and white....

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but try using the previous Win2k driver. I noticed that using the most recent Win2k/Win9x G400 driver (5.20) gave strange texture effects in the FAKK2 demo (same game engine).

Comment

Would that be the retail product?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the tip Rik, ill give that a try....and Greebe....what else would it be?

Comment

beta, like everything M$ first releases!
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

beta.....lol
              nope its retail....i just have some good friends :P

Comment

Hey...on a side note, do i need to use the 'uninstaller' to revert back to the older (5.11) drivers??
                I dont see anything about it in the release notes...
                Or do i have to just goto vga then go from there?

Comment

Yah, that's what M$ said! hehe

Uninstall, reboot, load up vga drivers, reboot, install whatever drivers you wish to run next.

Comment

Ok...this is the thing.......i took out the powerdesk icon from the systray as part of some tweaks i was doing ( win2k takes FOREVER to boot up) and now i dont know how to get the icon back again to uninstall or 'change' as it was in win98. I cant uninstall or change the driver from the display properties, so i dont know what to do next. I am pretty new to win2k so that doesnt help much......somebody let me know what to do....thx

Comment

Just tried the Alice demo twice and I had the same problems - big grey & black boxes, not playable

Windows 98 - Latest drivers

So far the only comments I've read about it involve the phrase "jumping puzzles" so I'm not that depressed about playing it.

Comment

ghost,

In win2k uninstalling drivers is a snap. Simply goto add/remove programs, there will be an option there to uninstall your matrox software. Do this, reboot, and install your drivers and reboot again.

Rags

Comment

Definetely a no go on my end. All I get are those big black and grey pixels, although I do see the alice logo and rogue logo right after I start the exe...........

WTF........didn't they TRY it on G400's?

--------------------
                          ABIT BF6, Pentium III Katmai @663MHz, GW VOS32 Cooler, 256MB Crucial 7E SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus LM, Matrox G400 DH@160/200, Enlight 7237, 300watt TurboCool PS, and some fun with a Dremel!
                          Last edited by Heiney; 20 May 2022, 10:43.

Comment

Me too with my G400 32 MB (non-MAX)! I just installed and play. I see the EA and Rogue Entertainment cutscenes, but then blackness with a big block on the right side that fades in and out. I can hear sound when I move my mouse. I had to end task the game. I am upset that the G400ers in here have the same problem. I don't have any problems with other games (including Q3A and Team Arena demo).

I am going to visit http://www.alice.ea.com/ and tell them about my problem . And they don't have a message board! I'd suggest you guys email the support. This is not good.

[This message has been edited by antdude (edited 03 December 2000).]
                            Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

I was looking at my config.cfg file in Alice demo subdirectory and saw:

//
                              // Cvars
                              //
                              seta r_lastValidRenderer "Matrox G400"
                              seta r_ext_compiled_vertex_array "0"

I wonder if there is a problem here? It obviously detected my video card correctly. Hmm! Did anyone see anything odd in their config.cfg? Thanks.
                              Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

Working...
                              X