Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400, OpenGL and games under W2k and 98

Hi all,

Does anyone have any specific views about running OpenGL games under W2K with a G400 compared to 98.

My problem is Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force it's jerky under W2K but Half-Life works perfectly in 1024x768.

OK, I *know* HL is the Q2 engine and Elite Force is the Q3 engine but there shouldn't be that much of a difference.

It would be nice to know if anyone who's running 98 and W2K and has tried Elite Force under both and seen if there is a speed difference.

Thanks.

My spec is:

PIII 450MHz
    G400
    128Mb PC-100 RAM
    SoundBlaster Live!

Does it work any better at 800/16-bit? Do other Quake3 engine games run OK?

You're probably pushing it with W2K and only 128 MB of RAM. Try shutting down any unnecessary programs running in the background. Also, W2K is probably running about a zillion services that you never use. You might want to look into that. The Quake3 engine is more demanding than the Quake2 engine. You may be a little resource-poor for a W2K gamer.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here. Since this is a Quake3 engine game, there should be a way to disable Dynamic Lights. See if you can and if the game runs better. This will alleviate some of your CPU's work, although I *suspect* RAM might be the bottleneck here.

Before you run out and buy another DIMM (not that that would kill you. ), let some of the other forum members chime in. There might be an issue with the game that I am not aware of. However, I've seen a GeForce bog down with W2K and 128 MB of RAM.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 02 January 2001).]

Comment

*Sigh*

I totally forgot about the differences between NT/2000 and '98.

I suspect you're correct that the general over-resouce hungry 2000 is slowing my machine down.

I don't paricually want to get more RAM. I'd like to upgrade to a new processor in the next year or so and I don't want to be left with loads of slow memory.

I'll have to go back to dual-booting between '98 and 2000. I didn't want to with the hassle of looking after two sets of drivers, patches etc. etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil.

Comment

Working...
      X