Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

from P3-500 - P3-800 significant difference running games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from P3-500 - P3-800 significant difference running games?

hi- i have a p3-500 now and a G400 Flex 3D
    baring in mind i am tied to powerdesk 5.27 (till the rt200 development team see fit to release an update)

what kind of improvement would i see in frame rates in half-life, quake 3, UT, ect?

anyone had a similar processor upgrade.
    all i can remember is that the g400 scales well upto a certain point..

can anyone help?
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Well i just upgraded from an celly 300a@450 with 128mb ram to an P3 1000@1050 with 512mb ram and i went from 20-40 to 60-80 fps in Halflife-Counterstrike!!.

One warning though: Playing CS on an much faster processor is like learning to ride the bike again. Everything is so much faster. I have the feeling that even the bullets leave the gun faster

BTW. i am using the latest drivers on G400 MAX.

Michel
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

I think Maggi's the expert on CPU speed and the G400's fill rate limitations. You should see a decent jump, particularly at lower resolutions. I can tell you this. I think the PIII 800 is a great bargain at around $200, and it'll make everything else go faster. Including your video work.

I jumped from 500 to 600 to 800 MHz on my primary and most conservative system. The system is based around the PIII 800 @ spec, an Asus BX board, lots of SCSI hard drives, and a G400 Max, and I only use it for running applications, DVD's, and surfing. It also functions as an Internet server.

The jump from 500 to 600 MHz was noticable. The jump from 600 (Katmai) to 800, I believe, was very worthwhile. If you're wondering if the upgrade will be worth it, I think you'll be very happy.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I recently upgraded from the old Cel300a@450 to a p3-800 and the difference is really worth it.

By the way, I am also running a Flex3d in an rt2000 system, but I have a seperate system (with System Commander 2000) for editing and another for games. On the gaming system, I can use whatever G400 drivers I like (and disable the rt2000 in System devices). So far, I have had good luck with 6.04 (and bad luck with 6.10) and TurboGL on my Flex3d.
        Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

I think Maggi's the expert on CPU speed and the G400's fill rate limitations.

Really Paul?!

Considering I have been running @850mHz for over a year now and am the first to hit the G400(Max) fillrate limits, even before Matrox, how is this possible? (not to claim Maggi doesn't know what these limits are also
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks people... i had just decided to buy another hard drive and leave the p3 for a while but im all fired up for it again now :O)

cyjo, im curious.. how do you set up the flex with normal g400 drivers?, i was under the impression that if i created another profile and installed the latest drivers, it would overwrite my flex3d ones and i would have to reinstall them again to edit...

would you share the secret of how to do it?
            :O) pretty please.. go on...
            Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Sorry Mike. It was a typo. I swear!!

What I meant to say was that Greebe is the expert on the G400's fillrate limitations. Maggi's no slouch either.

As I get older, my memory gets worse and worse. Maggi was the last person I recalled mentioning it, so he was crowned "the expert."

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I didn't do it with profiles. I have a multi-boot system on different partitions, using System Commander 2000. So I have two full separate systems on my hard drive (and yes, you have to install programs twice - for each system, if you want to use them in both).

I do it this way to keep my editing system clean and stable, with only the bare essentials running. My other system is my email/internet/gaming/testing etc system. That's where I am using the PD6.04 drivers. I don't think you can do the same thing with profiles.

To install the non-Flex 3D drivers, I first installed the Standard VGA driver, then go into Display:Settings:Advanced: and change the Display Adapter, by browsing to the folder with whatever drivers I want to use (not using the Setup.exe).
                Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

I didn't do it with profiles. I have a multi-boot system on different partitions, using System Commander 2000. So I have two full separate systems on my hard drive (and yes, you have to install programs twice - for each system, if you want to use them in both).

I do it this way to keep my editing system clean and stable, with only the bare essentials running. My other system is my email/internet/gaming/testing etc system. That's where I am using the PD6.04 drivers. I don't think you can do the same thing with profiles.

To install the non-Flex 3D drivers, I first installed the Standard VGA driver, then go into Display:Settings:Advanced: and change the Display Adapter, by browsing to the folder with whatever drivers I want to use (not using the Setup.exe).

Comment

cool, im assuming sytem commander 2000 is a stand alone program that cost the earth?

are there any cheaper alternatives that come with windows or anything???

or any other programs to duel boot,?

sorry if i sound like a total newbie but its something i know nothing about, duel booting

Comment

Yes, but it is well worth it to have a pristine editing system and still be able to play around with new stuff on the same machine.

I don't think you can do dual boot with 2 win98 systems for free. Partition Magic also has Boot Magic software which should do the same thing.

You can dual boot 98 and NT or 2000 for free. The OS loader is built into NT/2000. Of course NT and 2000 aren't free either...

Comment

Hiya, well i got partition magic 6 of a friend and its weird...
                        i have paritioned my hard drive and have 2 installations of windows ME then o found out that it doesnt support 2 versions of win95/98/me apparantly. so anyway.. one partition is hidden and the other active.. the weird thing is.. i can swap between them using the loader thing, i load it up, make the active one hidden then it boots with the others but i cant get it to do it on startup as its booting (ie pick which one)

Comment

I haven't tried Boot Magic, but System Commander 2000 is pretty easy to use - when I turn on my machine I get a screen letting me choose a system (I actually have 3 systems: 2 x 98se sytems and 1 x win2000 system). I can customize the length of time the screen stays on (I have it set for 10 seconds). After 10 seconds, it defaults to my Main (email, gaming, etc) System...

I think it re-writes the MBR (master boot record) everytime I reboot and automatically hides the other 2 systems. I can still access all the files on the other system partitions though.

Comment

hi, i hadnt installed bootmagic correctly.
                            now i have all is sweet.. i have installed powerdesk 6.21 and ONI runs fine now.. its a pretty good game too, Thanks a lot for your help

Comment

Working...
                            X