HL dies during online play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL dies during online play

Bursar, have any idea on how to track down that HL error. I've been getting it for ages on 98 and 2K so I think G400 driver version is out. It happens in OpenGL and DX (7a).

My hardware is :

G400 Max (no tweeks latest drivers, stock bios)
    Asus P5A 1.03, ATX, bios 1011 same with 1007a
    Latest via 4n1
    K6-2 350 @400 (does the same at 350)
    64M
    32M
    SB Live Value
    Realtek 8931
    Adaptec 2940UW
    IBM 4.5 older
    IBM 9.1 newer ES I think
    Yamaha 4x2x6
    Poineer DVD slot load
    USR Sportster 56 voice ( ISA)
    K63+550/192M/SCSI/G400Max

I tried forcing to AGP 1x

No go HL (TFC) still locks. The display freezes and the audio repeats. Win2K will recover but 98 is a hardlock.

Comment

Only during online play?

What is your rate set at?

Tried other network cards (personal dislike of RealTek)?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I haven't looked at what causes it to be honest. I've just been assuming that maybe I get sent some bad data over the net and it causes the game to die.

It still happens with with GF2 Ultra and Cable Modem connection, so I don't think it's video card or net connection related either.

I've tried various rate and pushlatency figues, but the problem is so random that it is difficult to tell if they made any difference.

I haven't played HL single player for ages, so I don't know if it is only limited to online play.

Maybe I'll give it another blast through and see if it happens.
        Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

hey my quake2 and q3a dies in online play aswell and the symptoms sound just like yours! does it happen in ogl or software mode?

Comment

I seem to have fixed it. I went into the bios and turned all the fast sounding stuff off ( SDRAM 2111/1111 , fast page writes, etc) Seems to have fixed the lock ups. Now to find out how much a performance hit I took and what I can turn back on.

Comment

Working...
            X