Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 as legacy cards?

http://www.stomped.com/published/jcal976982739_1_1.html

Stomped: What trend in gaming gave you the most pause in the year 2000 and why?

Perry: Probably the PC 3D hardware companies refusing to support their legacy cards. They are trying to force gamers to by new cards by not fixing bugs in old drivers. The gamers of course blame the game developers when they should be blaming the hardware companies. It's a very unfair trend for game developers and the gamers lose out.

Does that mean G400 too? I am sick of tire of upgrading my cards for newer games .
    Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

no way that the G400 is a legacy card. If the G400 would be legacy, what woulf Matrox consider non-legacy? The G450 is the same core as the G400, so I guess the drivers are pver 90% the same between these 2. And Matrox releases drivers on a regular basis, so what's the problem?

Comment

i wouldnt think so.... i dont even think my g200 is legacy (ok.. ok.. maybe im in denial )
      <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
      VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
      Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
      128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
      Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
      Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
      Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
      Realtek 8029A NIC Card
      Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
      Actima 36X CD-Rom
      Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
      Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
      Windows 2000 (primary)
      Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Isn't legacy in this context a non-AGP card? If that's the case, I guess a non-AGP G4x0 card would be a legacy card.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I think this refers more to companies such as ATI and even to some degree nVidia. ATI's Rage 128 drivers are still horribly broken for a large variety of situations, but they are focusing their driver development solely on the Radeon.

nVidia's detonators are "less broken" on their newer chipsets, but let's face it - there's no reason you can't still play games with a TNT2.

*shrug*

Matrox isn't _as_ guilty of this, but the G200 has certainly gotten the shaft on their last few driver releases.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

A non-AGP card is not considered a legacy card. PCI slots will be with us for YEARS to come. Now an ISA/VLB video card. Now THAT is legacy.
            C:\DOS
            C:\DOS\RUN
            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I've got one of those ISA tridents 8900D cards lying around.... complete with feature connectior. Are those legacy? )))))))

What the hell could you do with the feature connector anyway on those cards (haven't been into pc business long enough to know)?

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus:
                I've got one of those ISA tridents 8900D cards lying around.... complete with feature connectior. Are those legacy? )))))))

What the hell could you do with the feature connector anyway on those cards (haven't been into pc business long enough to know)?
                If i didn't remember wrongly, it is used to connect to other video devices in the early days, such as 1st generation Realmagic cards.

Regards.
                Primary desktop:
                Dell Dimension 4100|P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|ATI Firegl 8700 64MB|SBLIVE|3Com 3C905c|Adaptec 2906|Quantum 40G|FUJITSU 1.3G MO|Iomega 16x10x40x|MGE 480VA UPS|Philips 200P3M|XPPro
                Secondary desktop:
                Generic P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|Matrox G400 32MB DH|SigmaTel audio(build-in)|2 x 3Com 3C9980B|Adaptec 2940UW|Quantum 15G|MGE 500VA UPS|Sony G500|W2K

Comment

Working...
                X