Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMM32.VXD - Aghhh@##""*** ?

HELP - please.

OK system rebuilt - new hard drive, all great. Then one day! On startup 'C' promt only with this message - Cannot find "C:/Windows/system/VMM32.VXD" (slashes may be the other way) Of course when I look the driver IS there? But NO boot up.

So then I choose - step by step confirmation, AND agree to EVERY ine of code suggested. Including load all drivers, and Hey presto it fires up okay!!! - What the F**K is going on - Please.

Thanks Chaps/Ladies.

Biker

------------------

Do you have a Umax scanner and a processor faster than 266mhz?
    Have you overclocked the PCI bus above 66mhz?

Comment

Hi Brent

Thanks for reply so soon, yes I think your in the right direction.

Umax S-6E scsi. and AMD 333Mhz.

And there was no problem with my rebuild untill 3 days later when I tried to install the umax software!!! It did not connect - because - this is the embarrassing bit - I did not have the scanner plugged into the scsi bus (Doh - well I forgot I took the 2nd scsi card out!).

Is there any thing I can do? Will it ever work with my system?

------------------

Comment

Look here http://www.umax.com/support/knowledg...m?docs=SC00049

Haig

Comment

Hi Brent & Haig

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction. The UMAX patch seems to have sorted the problem. (Mind you I have not tried the scanner yet !!! - But at least my machine boots up.)

Nice one guys

Biker

------------------

Comment

If you can afford it and want piece of mind, buy an Adaptec SCSI card. Win 98 has native support for the Umax SCSI scanners and an Adaptec card. After a clean install, you will see a scanner icon in your control panel and everything will be identified and work. Although the Win 98 driver is old, Ver 2. something, it works even with my P3 600 and I do not like the Umax 3.1 driver anyway as it defaults to an automatic idiot proof type scanner interface. Just check the Adaptec and Umax sites for compatible cards. I bought a 2910c as it has plenty of throughput for my CD ROMS and scanner at "only" 10 megs a sec, is affordable and being non bootable, suits me with a IDE RAID system. Ther are some new basic Adaptec cards out which seem really cheap as well. The problem is actually with Umax drivers and the supplied Umax SCSI cards.

Comment

I've had nothing but trouble with the UMAX Astra 1220S scanner that I originally bought a year ago. I used to have that damn VMM32.VXD error all the time also until I found out about the patch. I'm now on my THIRD scanner (replaced under warranty every time for various reasons) and interestingly enough, the original ISA SCSI card has now been replaced by UMAX with a different PCI SCSI card. I'm hoping that I'm third time lucky with this scanner!

Comment

Hi Brent & Patrick

Thanks for info and comments. Some comments myself -
                I have an Adaptec scsi installed BUT a lead to connect it is £38.50 (UK)so it only gets used for the internall drives (Nuisance that). Well lets face it for £40 I can buy a scanner. So the UMAX card gets used at the moment - and by golly its FAST really FAST. even though it is ISA.

The Adaptec card I have is a 1542, and the rear socket looks like its 6cm wide? ANy cheap leads out there chaps? The scanner input has a selection, one of which looks like a 'standard' scsi!

Just a thought, about 2 years ago I aquired aan Adaptec top of the range PCI scsi card, its in the attic as it wont fit in my case. It is something like a '3985'? It has 3 internal and one external connector for supporting 21 devices!!! It supports striping and mirroring, it is fully boxed, is it any good? Whats it worth? A guy owed me Big time for a job and it was part of what I ended up getting traded for the work! Ah such is life.
                Has anyone here any experience of the beast?
                Please advise.

Also maybe coincidence, but since I installed that Patch (vmx32) A couple of my authoring programs are not 'updating/refreshing' properly - they always used to?

I know it could be 8 million other things, but has anyone got any ideas please?

My machine for once has not got any clutter on it at the moment either.

Oh well fingers crossed.

Byeeee

Biker.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X