ADSL vs SDSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL vs SDSL

I am considering upgrading my DSL service in order to allow my gaming server to be accessed by more than 2 people without serious packet loss and ping problems.

The two services I'm considering are:

1.5 mbs x 384 kbs
    and
    768 kbs x 768 kbs

Both are Static IP.

Which service would provide the best server performance for UT or Q3A?

If you are going for server performance, definitely take the SDSL line, 768/768. SDSL is technologically the same as T1 (T1 usually is a HDSL line; SDSL is the same as HDSL except that it only runs over two wires, not four). In fact, it would be better for gaming performance as well. SDSL has lower ping than most ADSL. ADSL lines often have something called interleaving on. Interleaving is supposed to be more reliable, but it increases ping. ADSL lines without interleaving have only slightly higher ping than SDSL.

Some questions though:

1) What provider (i.e. Covad, NorthPoint)? What ISP?
    2) Price?

Comment

ISP is Speakeasy with Covad

1.5 x 384 is $90/mo
      768 x 768 is $140/mo + installation

Comment

Good choice. Speakeasy has gamer packages and encourages setting up servers (unlike some other ISPs). They connect to Internap, which connects to many other backbones. However, Speakeasy currently does not have a POP in your area (you would connect to the NYC POP). This would affect ping times, as your gateway is in NYC. I would estimate that you would have 20-30ms gateway pings. Something to consider. Keep an eye on http://www.speakeasy.net/support/system/pops/index.html to see if any closer POPs are planned.

If you are willing to pay, go for Megapath (www.megapathdsl.net). They are my ISP, and they have a local POP in every area. 784/784 is $179/month. My line has never had any problems. 5ms first hop pings and excellent connections to everywhere (important for servers).

You might also want to consider local ISPs.

Comment

Working...
        X