Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterstrike stutters

Hey all,

CS 1.0 gives periodic stutters on my system -- normal framerate is about 70, but drops to near 30 every 2.5 to 3 seconds. I have no IRQs shared and no other game exhibits this behavior (I've tried Q3, Deus Ex, UT). Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Rahul

------------------
    Abit KT7, Duron 700@900, G400 32MB DualHead, 256MB RAM, Maxtor 20 GB,
    WD136BA 13.4 GB, SBLive! Value.
    Running RedHat 7.0 and Windows 98SE.
    Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
    Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

And for those troubleshooters who insist, an IRQ list. Note that there's nothing plugged into the USB ports...

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 (free)
    4 (free)
    5 Creative SB16 Emulation
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Creative SB Live! Value
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    10 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 3Com Fast EtherLink XL 10/100Mb TX Ethernet NIC (3C905-TX)
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 PS/2 Pointing Device
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

-Rahul

Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux

Comment

I would put money down that it is a program running in the background. Check you startup folder, look at the tasks under ctrl-alt-del, and go to your system config utility and se what you have starting up when your computer starts. Start by eliminating any unecessary programs and try again.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw-If I remember correct, the halflife engine is a more cpu intensive games than others. Also, did this always happen?

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks Dave, it was NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing that was the culprit. I don't understand why, the tray icon was on but sharing was not activated, so technically it shouldnt be taking any network or CPU time. Maybe I'll use VNC instead...

Thanks again,
          Rahul

Comment

Glad I could help Like most programs that run in the background, they tend to do some kind of polling which has to interrupt the CPU each time.

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X