Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MURC LAN Party

When's the next one?

I missed the last one because I found out about it in early June, so I didn't have time to make arrangements to go.

Day after tomorrow.
    Gonna make it this time?

Nothing is planned. Don't know if we'll do it again any time soon, if ever.
    While the previous ones we've had have been a blast, we can't really expect many people to travel across states for a LAN. Turnout has been pretty modest. Plus our host for the last 2 parties doesn't sound like he wants to do it again, which leaves us without a place, or his dedicated servers running the games...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Uh-Oh, did we wear out our welcome last time??

amish
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I dunno.

Maybe he was just crabby last time we talked about it. He gets that way sometimes. Actually he's like that most of the time, with occasional bouts of cheer

He was being pissy because nobody offered him any "compensation" for his troubles, even though he agreed to host without ever mentioning money. I think it would be in bad taste to ask people who came hundreds of miles to party with us to pay for the honor. It's not like he had any money invested in it, outside of the day's extra electricity.
        I didn't ask the guys I put up nights before and after the LAN for anything, and I wouldn't have accepted had they offered (cheap sobs ) (well, Joel did leave me a couple bottles of booze).
        I was rather annoyed when our LAN host brought this up, as he did not really have to do much for these partys. His servers where already set up. MURCers and other freinds brought in the tables and chairs, bought the food, beer, and pop, and hauled it all out. We left the place just as we entered it. He didn't even help a single person carry in/out their equipment. While I appreciate what he did for us by giving us a place and servers, I don't think he needed any "compensation" for it. After all, we've been LANing together for years, and it's all about having a good time, not charging your guests (many who have already spent a conciderable amount just to be there). If it was a real event we had to rent space for and spent conciderable time setting up and such it would be different, but not for a basement party.

Maybe I'll ask him about it again sometime, but I don't expect much unless there is cash involved.

[end rant]
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hmm. Day after tommorow? Sure I can make it

I say we bribe him. Send him some free beer (on IRQ 11). There are actually many places here in NY that allow you to have a LAN party (though they provide everything, machines, games and all). I remember one charged $3/hour. My friend is getting his basement fixed, so we can have LAN parties there. His old 486 would make a great dedicated server, no?

Oh yeah, I remember seeing a post several months ago about pictures from the last LAN party. Do you have them?

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin:
            ... which leaves us without a place, or his dedicated servers running the games...
            Hey Kruz,

don't you have a barn or an attic ?

But seriously, we started our annual http://ms.demo.org under the roof of a friend, using a table to hook up four computers in our first LAN party ... LOL
            Next year we had to move into his garage,
            cos the amount of computers doubled.

It grew each year, so that we had to find bigger places and thus we approached various organizations, like churches, schools etc.

Most public organizations were pretty much apreciating our approach and therefore we were able to continue our parties.
            This year we finally had over 800 paying visitors, who brought all their equipment and filled a complete tennis hall ...

The traffic between both main gigabit network switches peaked at above 6 TeraByte within 4 days !!!

And for the switches and hubs, you might ask Matrox, if they could offer something to help you out, since it's probably one of the best ways to offer PR ...

Cheers,
            Maggi
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I hear ya Ken, remember that... it's not my lan/server issue?! LOL

I agree, Mark definitely left me with feeling he needs suppositories (>1)... The best alternative suggestion I could give, take up the habit again!

Shame he didn't have AC, cause it was hotter than hell down in the basement... he needs to apply proper case cooling down there... you can't cool it if you don't let any air in (trying to EXAUST heat from the window and stairwell just doesn't get it)!

...I'm still wondering when we'll ge those Matrox Tshirts/Ballcaps... :\
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I just want to say that overall I had a great time at the LAN party. That is once we got my network settings right. But the main part for me though was finally meeting face to face some of my fellow MURCers that I have been communicating with on these forums or through e-mails for so long. And Denver is a beautiful place. I just love the mountains.

Maggi, your suggestions sound great but I'm afraid that most of those places would probably be inappropriate for some of the extra curricular, *cough* *cough*, partying that we did.

And Kruzin, tell Mark that if I had of known up front that he was seeking compensation for the use of his facilities I think I might have been able to spare a 5 or 10 spot. But then again we did bring food, drinks, booze and even our own ice all of which we shared. And we did send out for pizza at one point too.

I would really like to see us have another LAN party this year but maybe with a little more notice this time. Not your fault though.

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

It must have been the after effects of those BEANS in the Chile Mac his wife made for us at the first MURC Lan Party....LOL

Took me a week to get it out of my system

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well, if people are willing to kick in like 10 bucks each for the host (I don't want anything except a good party), I'll talk to him, and maybe we can schedule something for 2001. If enough people want to come in for it, and are willing to rent out a place and split the cost, we can do that too.

And there where supposedly pics taken (coughgreebecough). but I've never seen them

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 29 November 2000).]

Comment

I'd definitely be willing to chip in money. The further advance notice, the better I am very bummed I didn't make it to the last one but blame my truck for breaking down Atleast it broke down in Reano, not a bad place to be stuck in.

Dave
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Talkin to Mark right now...says he'll supply the servers, but not the space. Says his wife didn't like the *cough*extra curricular*cough* partying that was going on.

So if we find a place, and set a date, I'm all for it.

Start suggesting dates 4,6,8 months from now, and I'll look into possible places to have it.

Comment

Hmm. $10 sounds reasonable. Though, it would cost me quite an amount to get to Denver. My dad definitely isn't going to let me go halfway across the U.S. by myself. I also have to find myself a smaller case for my machine, because I'm not going to lug around a forty pound case. Then there's my 19" monitor.

Christmas vacation begins Dec. 23 for me. Is that too soon? I guess we can have it in the summer again, after June. Damned school

BTW, how many people showed up last time? The social atmosphere makes LAN parties fun, and I'd like to meet some of you guys And what "extra curricular" partying did you guys do?

Comment

X-mas time is way too soon.
                            Next spring/summer is more realistic.
                            The last one we had was only about a dozen people, maybe a little more. I think the first MURC one we has we got up to 20 people at one point. Some Murcers, some local buds.
                            But being that we don't have a place to do it, it's very likely it would be more than 10 bucks if we have to rent a place to do it at. Depends on how many people are in for it, and what I can find for a place to do it.

And I don't contribute to the deliquency of minors, so the hardest partying you'll see is a can of Jolt cola

Comment

I wanna come It's been a while since I had one - anyone know prices of flights to the US

Oh well, s'pose I'll have to miss out on this...

Paul.
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                              X