LAN Game Server Administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN Game Server Administration

I run some semi-regular LAN games and we are planning to upgrade the quality of play! I've bought a 16port 100Mb hub with lots of cable. I've got 2 Win2k boxes:
    P2-350, 256Mb, TNT2, SBLive, DVD, CDRW etc
    P3-500, 128Mb, V3, SBLive, DVD etc

I'll be playing on one of them and serving games off of the other. Now then, the question:

What is the best way to administer the server? I want to have an agenda of games (e.g. Q3 DM, UT Assault, HL:CS) which will play automatically in order with set map lists. If a certain game isn't going well (ie a few people can't connect/run it) then I'd need to be able to jump to the next game. A GUI server setup utility would be nice for each game to create the config files etc and stats would also be nice! The server would be running dedicated and hopefully automatic downloading of maps etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Paul.

------------------
    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
    Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Up

Anyone got anyp recommendations for even individual game launchers? Preferably something which can save a config file but I'm basically fed up of running listen servers off of my machine!

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I've tried to run a HL server at work, v4104.
      It blows.

This version has many problems. If you do run it, be sure to put

-sv_lan 1

in the commandline as it won't accept it in the server.cfg.

Also, if you want to play with Jumbot, it won't play it, PERIOD.

Also, set -maxplayers xx in the commandline; reason same as above.

For admin tools for HL, I know of 3: one can be found on planethalflife.com under resources: hldstoolz331_sys.zip

Others are (don't recall from where):

HLSrv_Admin20.zip
      HLDSMon.zip

I believe an ftp search at http://ftpsearch.lycos.com

should discover them.

BTW, I never used any of these.

Don't know about other games.

Comment

Thanks!

I presume this works for Counter Strike?

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Pace,

I see you're running W2k on both boxes. If you can get your hands on W2k Server (Not advanced) then install this instead.

Turn a few services off and it will eat the same resources as professional.

The benefit with Server is it runs terminal services so you can log onto the desktop from your other Win2k machines and configure it as though you're sitting there. If you're used pcAnywhere it's similar to that.

Rat

Comment

I've got AS though! (see my other thread in GHW!)

I know it can do it (well, obviously), just that I've had a few problems with it!

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Terminal Server is a good idea..doesn't eat up much resources

It shouldn't give you much problems, just install terminal services (administration mode) make the floppies, install floppies on workstation and your'e on your way..

As many game servers can be started from the command line, telnet or remote shell may also be an option. But TS is really great..

What problems did you have with ts?

Grtz,
              Ed

Comment

-btw-
                The linux version of UT comes with a nice web interface for remote administration. (doesn't seem to run as fast as under windows though)

Grtz,
                Ed

Comment

Found something for ya

I knew this guy made a tool for remote administration of quake servers but i had to look where he put it..

Clicketyclick:
                  http://q3a.clanbase.com/miscdl.php?did=99

Hope it works

Grtz,
                  Ed

Comment

Thanks guys!

Still not completely finished administration but getting there. Almost got that prog from the last link Ed, had an error downloading previously.

Also, found these on FilePlanet for Quake3:
                    ServerCommander
                    RConCommander
                    StatsCommander

All 3 are from Fragomatic I believe and seem ok so far, just going to test it out again just now

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Oh, and Ed, I didn't have any problems with TS as such, just AS!

Paul.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Ah ok

You could keep the installation as simple as possible for this though.. (basic stand alone server with TS) but it wouldn't be as good as those admin prog's anyway..You would have to start the game servers in your terminal session...(Just came to mind)

Grtz,
                        Ed

Comment

Ok Ed! Testing went ok with the server util, I couldn't actually set up a listen server because the tick box kept resetting on the Server Commander. However, this is what I wanted but I was just testing it!

My first test session went ok, but I was getting a ping of 60! Most disappointing on a 100mbit network, with 2 Win2k boxes on 3C905Bs and a WinMe box not involved in the play at all (though Seti was running on all 3).

Hopefully this will improve anyway! Any ideas? (other than turning off seti)

Paul.
                          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

phew could be anything...

Got the server/client running at lan speed? Is it just the game ping or is pinging regularly ok (<10 ms)? Are there any programs /protocols running that you don't need (Seti...argh!)? Etc..

UT for some reason also reports higher ping times than quake..no lag though

Grtz,
                            Ed

Comment

Working...
                            X