X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icewind Dale lockup in multiplay!

Hi fellow MURC'ers!

I have a problem with Icewind Dale.

Whenever I try to join or create a multiplayer game it locks up solid. I can play singleplayer games just fine.

I happens at the create/join TCP/IP screen in main menu of the game. I fill out the game name and name of my player and hit the create button and the game freezes.

I haven't tried the other kinds of multiplay like modem and IPX games.

Yesterday I tried installing the game on my laptop comp and hoooking that up to my DSL line. It worked just fine. I could create games, no proplems.

Here is my config:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
    IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 Vortex AU8830 Sound Blaster Pro Emulation OK
    IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
    IRQ 7 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 7 Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
    IRQ 7 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
    IRQ 10 Adaptec AHA-2940U2/AHA-2940U2W PCI SCSI Controller OK
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 11 Vortex AU8830 Multifunction PCI Platform OK
    IRQ 11 Vortex AU8830 PCI Audio OK
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    IRQ 15 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English OK
    IRQ 15 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK

I have tried it on both Win98SE and WinME, Directx 7.0a, Matrox 6.01 drivers.

The only things I can think of are they fact that I'm using a SCSI controller in my system, but that has never given me problems before. Also the A3D soundcard could have a driver problem when using network at the same time, but again I have never had problems with this either.

If you need any other info or have any ideas, please let me know.

Regards,

Jake

------------------
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    MGA-G400DH 32Mb Mill., Abit BF6 mobo bios ver. RV, PIII-450@558, 128Mb PC-133 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 8/20 CDR. Diamond MX300 A3D PCI soundcard, Adaptec AHA-2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah 9.1 GB LVD HDD, Quantum Fireball ST 6.4 GB UDMA33 HDD

----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Jake, I feel your pain, I have had the exact same experience. Single player is fine but locks up like nobody's business when I try to go TCPIP game. I tried other multiplyer modes too, same effect. I had this problem with Windows 98SE and also with ME, which I did a clean install for. When I tried it on my Windows 2000 server, it works like a charm. That being my slower machine with the smaller screen, not my 1t choice for playing games. I am also running a TNT2 Ultra in my server. My guess is, it is either the video drivers for the Max killing something or posibly the sound card drivers. I had a problem like that once with Dungeon Keeper 2 and it ended up being my damn sound card drivers. sorry I don't really have any thing else for you to try. The patches for Icewind don't seem to mention anything about it. I've gotten NO response from their tech support on it either. Needless to say, I haven't played Icewind much since. I'm a little concerned though because Baldur's Gate 2 is coming soon and I must play that game with my friends across the country and I need a working multiplayer mode to do that. Good luck!

------------------
    PIII/600 256MB, ASUS P3B-F,50+GB, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!, DSL, etc....
    PIII/850, 640MB, ASUS P3B-F,80GB+ of HD, G400MAX +12MB voodoo2, SB live!MP3, Cable Modem, etc...

Comment

Hi!

Thank you for your kind advice, Skeeech. I was beginning to think my thread was invisible.

I will try removing my soundcard and maybe temporarily my beloved G400. I might even try installing W2k if if still does not work.

This is one of the strangest bugs I have ever seen in a computergame. No lockups in singleplay, but TOTAL lockup in multiplay.

Regards,

Jake
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

i had the same problems, i tried IWD on win98, win98se, winme, and guess what

it works on win2k....

tcp/ip multiplayer that is, good luck fellas
        i doubt it has anything to do with your system config, thank microsoft for a pos os =)

i'm currently having problems with asheron's call, i tell it to enable d3d acceleration but...it doesn't do it =(

[This message has been edited by nerasp (edited 23 September 2000).]

Comment

Thanks nerasp!

It WORKED!!!

Finally, I am able to play this great game in multiplay.

Haig, I you are reading this...

I can only conclude that it must be a problem in the Windows 98/ME G400 drivers that causes this problem, or a conflict between an MS TCP/IP driver and the G400 drivers.

It happens on PC's with Windows 98/ME and G400's. It has worked on all other configurations I have tried. (Friends PC's and my Laptop). I'm not saying Matrox is to "blame" for this, I would just like to hear your oppinion on the matter.

Have you looked into this problem? Is it Windows that's FUBAR?

Regards,

Jake
          ----------------------

Comment

simply open up your dxdiag goto display and click disable on the top button (direct draw i think) then open icewind and play away ( shoot a magic missile into the leaders back for me)

Comment

Working...
            X