No announcement yet.

What do you think of Front-line Force?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Front-line Force?

Just curious what MURCers think of this HL multiplayer mod. Game-wise, to me it's somewhere between TFC, which I like a lot, and CS, which I really can't get into. It's pretty silly (really now, it can take 2 35-round clips from an AK-5 to kill a foe - I love it - the mod-makers warn it's not reality based!), but most in the games on-line, including me, seem to think it's pretty fun.

If you're looking for something new and free give it a shot. I think I've been adequately representing [MU], but would love to see others there.

John (aka Dr_John[MU])

Well, I have yet to d/l it (35Meg file).

I found only 7 servers; only 3 had peeps.

Not exactly popular (I dislike CS, BTW).

Comment

Not sure how you found that number. I just checked from within the mod: 124 servers with 400 people playing. Gamespy shows 146 current servers with a similar number of players. Which to me seems pretty good for a mod that's been out for a week.

What I noticed is a lot of the players are CS refugees.

John

Comment

I've played it once or twice. I like it so far. I dislike CS like the plague. I love TFC. I agree that FLF is nice mix between the two (leaning more towards the TFC side).

Locations are cool, good idea, fantastic 1st beta release.

Needs more weapons, though. I don't know enough to distinguish between any of them, so maybe I don't need more weapons...

Anyway, find a good group of guys to play with (I played on KoB-Soup Kitchen - lots of my TFC friends play there) and it can be enjoyable.

Plus, you can lie prone!
        PIII 550@605
        IWill Motherboard VD133
        VIA Chipset
        512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
        G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
        DirectX 8.0a
        SB Live! Value
        8x DVD (Toshiba)
        6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
        Intel Pro/100+ NIC
        3Com CMX Cable Modem
        Optiquest V95 19"
        HP 812C Color Ink Jet
        Microtek flatbed scanner
        Intellimouse Explorer
        Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
        AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

It's more like a cros between FA and TFC. The further any mod can get from CS, the better (in my book at least).

It needs a fair bit of work still, but it's not a bad first release.

If I had my way I'd put in a few more guns (couple of shotguns, some more heavy weapons), I'd also increase the accuracy of the weapons a bit as well.

Have you tried starting a LAN game, and just emptying a whole clip against a wall? Some of the rounds end up miles away from where you're aiming.

Even the sniper rifle is hopeless (unzoomed). The only weapons I've shot in real-life are .22 rifles (proper bullets though, not air-rifles), and I wasn't that bad a shot. However this game is so far out that it's not even amusing.

For best results you really need to just squeeze off 3-5 rounds each time. It's tricky in the heat of battle, so a selective fire mode would be useful.

After a few games of this though, I went back to my beloved FA.

Maybe after another couple of releases when they've had a chance to tweak stuff a bit more I'll take another look.
          Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

Ahartman-

LOL...just like me. I tend to choose my weapon by the one that sounds the coolest, since I can't tell the difference either. The weapons sounds are really great.

The prone thing is great too. The first time I saw someone doing it, WTF! I was laughing too hard (they we're prone AND rolling). I haven't been so startled on-line since the first time I saw a Nali war cow in UT.....I glimpsed one at a distance and thought it was a crab.

I bet it will get better. My problem is grenade tossing....I usually end up lobbing them out of the map.

See you all there.

John

Comment

Working...
            X