strange tale of PowerDesk 6.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange tale of PowerDesk 6.10

Around Nov 2 I downloaded and installed the latest (at that time) Matrox PowerDesk driver - w9x_604. A couple of weeks later I also upgraded to WinMe. Just now I realized that the current latest driver for Win9x is w9x_600 (???) so I proceeded to download and install it. But to my surprise WinMe told me this is 'untested' software that I am trying to install and refused to take it. For your info I use the 'uninstall' Matrox utility before installing the new driver. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here ???? And what is really the latest, greatest Matrox software for WinMe. I am utterly lost.

Michael J.
    Michael J.

OK, all is fine. I managed to install PowerDesk 6.10. But I learned one important lesson - it is a very, very BAD idea to use Matrox uninstall utility with WinMe.

Michael J.
    Michael J.

Comment

Hello Michal

About that not sertified software-warning. It´s OK :-) What it tells you is just that those drivers havn´t been certified by Microsoft to be 100% capable of running every aspect of DirectX. Last drivers I saw from Matrox being that was 5.20 I think.
      You should be able to ignore that message and go on installing 6.10

When you think of it, it´s really understandable that not every driver release from Matrox is sertified, because they release new driver nearly every second week :-) and having drivers sertified, I belive must be a very slow process. ;-)

Comment

Michal, what's that about the uninstaller and WinME? Can you elaborate?

Btw, the certified or not thing is as encina said nothing to worry about. Just a minor MS nag

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden:
          Michal, what's that about the uninstaller and WinME? Can you elaborate?

Btw, the certified or not thing is as encina said nothing to worry about. Just a minor MS nag

Jord.
          Jord,

By uninstaller I mean the Matrox uninstall utility, not Windows. WinMe simply refused to accept my new 6.10 drivers when I uninstalled previous drivers. Then I simply installed 6.10 on top of the previous driver (6.14) and it went fine ... not exactly, just minutes ago found out that 6.10 is not so great with FLY! - does weird things to runway markings. So I used WinMe restore utility to resore my previous drivers. I will let Matrox people know that 6.10 does not work with FLY!.

Michael J.

Comment

Michal, I guess you tried to uninstall the 6.04 drivers without the uninstaller as well? Just using the Windows method (that's possible as well).

And I do hope you got the new uninstaller (dated 25-10-2000), instead of the old one which works for 5.xx drivers only?

Then about the 6.10 drivers: They're beta's, meaning that whatever has been corrected in some games, can be wrong with lots of other games

I understand (also from your other post) that FLY is a very "heavy" program? If you're using OGL, then maybe the OGL engine isn't up to it yet. Try using an older version of the drivers for the moment, see if the artifacts go away and then mail your results to Matrox.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden:
              Michal, And I do hope you got the new uninstaller (dated 25-10-2000), instead of the old one which works for 5.xx drivers only?
              Jord.
              Ouch !! I had no clue that my old Matrox uninstaller may be obsolete buy now. Thanks for telling me about it.

Michael J.

Comment

Working...
              X