Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry, im not a computer genius

hey guys i got some questions to ask:
    -Whats a coppermine?(It sounds pretty good)
    -Is my cpu a coppermine?(I got a celeron 533mhz).
    -Can my cpu be overclocked?
    -How do I check to see if my MGA-G200 is overheating?
    Do these questions sound stupid? I hope they get answered.
    thanks
    Yours truly, Godfrey

Coppermine, while nothing to do with copper, is a newer version of the Pentium3 core, with 256KB on-die cache (which in almost all situations is faster than the 512KB off-die cache of the older Pentium-3 version, Katmai). It also is optimized for higher frequesncies, and on the 0.18 micron process that Intel currently is using to manufacture these coppermines, the chips top out at about 1.0 - 1.1 GHz.

Celeron-2 CPUs are also Coppermine cores, but half of it's cache is disbled, and they don't support SMP (don't know for sure if they don't or can't support SMP).

Your Celeron probably is a Penium-2 core with on-die cache, and not a Coppermine core.

To check, download WCPUid (availble from many places), and check the CPU features page. If SSE is supported, you have a Coppermine core.

Comment

"Do these questions sound stupid? I hope they get answered.
      thanks"

There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Why does this remind me of South Park?
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

DosFreak....or maybe that should be

There are no stupid questions only smart-ass answers
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Thanks Chris-B

With dZeus answering everything for xhktm (and I wonder what it stands for ), what DOS-Freak is doing is just going out of line, which we MURC are apologizing for, xhktm

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I was just kidding!

see the ----->

[This message has been edited by DosFreak (edited 25 November 2000).]
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I must admit, i am pretty dumb at computers. like i said before, im not a genius like you guys. I only use my computer to play games like quake2 and halflife and don't know jack about how it works. To be honest I can't understand half the stuff you guys talk about in this forum *tee hee*. But don't worry, im studying some good maths and physics at school so i can do computers in university and after 3 years ill become more like you guys...hopefully

Comment

Don't worry I am not a genious or a technician and do not understand all of computer world (I studied economics..).

If you are interested on computer hardware there are many web sites where you can find very interesting articles for beginners too!
                  http://www.aceshardware.com/
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/
                  http://www.tweak3d.net/

Comment

don't forget THE source for the low down: ARS!

These guys have a LOT of great information.

Rags

Comment

im not a genius like you guys ... To be honest I can't understand half the stuff you guys talk about in this forum
                      Doesn't sound like South Park, sounds more like Phil Hart's "Caveman Lawyer".
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

No, I meant the quote:

"There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people. "

The teacher in SP said that in one episode.
                        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                        X