Computer shuts down while playing Ultima 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer shuts down while playing Ultima 9

Ok guys I got this problem and I dont know why. my previous system was a celeron 300a @ 450, 128 megs ram (same ram as current system) Abit BH6 rev 1.01, SBlive value (liveware 3 for win2k) and other stuff. My new system is Celeron II 566 @ 952, same ram, Abit BE6 rev 1, sblive value (liveware 3 for win2k) and all same stuff. As with my previous system i have win2k pro and SP1 installed. I also have directx 8 final installed. My vid card for my first system was a Matrox g400 32 meg, my current card is a Matrox G450 32 meg. Now my problem is with Ultima 9, I used to play it in win2k pro on my previous system and had no problems. I have the new install cd that has all the patches etc. Now I have been playing it on my new system and sometimes I will be playing it and after I start running my computer completely turns itself off, not a reboot just POOF no power nothing. only thing that is still on is the Numlock light on the keyboard. Now I can push the power button and the system starts up normally. I am at a lost, I tried turning off EAX and thought that had fixed the problem but no, I tried clocked the celery 2 back to the original 566mhz, no fix, I tried changing video drivers, no fix, I triedsetting my memory to CAS3 instead of CAS2, no fix. HELP GUYS
    Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

what about your power supply? It sounds like it may not be good enough to power everything.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The G400 and SB-Live combination is a notorious power-sucker, especially if you have more cards in your system.

What's the Wattage of your PSU, and what is asked? Ceck that first, by unplugging a couple of your other cards or hardware (drives), then if that doesn't work, try downclocking on your Celeron II

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well its the same exact 300w PS I had before and it never did this. Also no other games such as UT or others cause the system to shut down while playing. Jorden i tried clocking it to its original 566 but that had no effect. I wonder if DX8 final could be the culprit but wouldnt that effect all my games?

List of cards I have in the system

SBlive Value
        Supra Express 56i ISA
        Matrox G450 32 meg AGP (fan on heatsink)
        I had a PCTV card in there as well but I took it out but made no difference either

Does the G450 suck more power than the G400? I would doubt it. Also my Celeron II 566@ 952 is set at 1.85volts, maybe i need more juice? would 1.9v be to much?
        Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

Hey PR,

I heard that there is a new Whistler release that will solve all of your problems and give you a nice speed boost to boot. Just reformat and do it all over again

Casey

--------------------------
          Drivin' that train high on...

Comment

Well Casey im not running Whistler, im running Win2k pro. however i have tried the latest Whistler which is build 2296 and I was not able to get my g450 working. I installed the latest drivers but DX8 told me I had no 3d acceleration.

Comment

I figured it out, all I had to do was disable Bitmap Caching in the Matrox drivers and all is well. Dont know why that would make my computer shutdown while playing Ultima 9 but it was. thx guys

Comment

hehe just as side note, man Ultima 9 is a memory hungry SOB, after i started it up i went back to the desktop and noticed that memory used has gone from 65 megs to 225 megs LOL 160 MEGS!! DAMN

------------------
                Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win98FE with other odds and ends

Comment

Working...
                X