Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrox Millenium G200 AGP/Q3 incompatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Millenium G200 AGP/Q3 incompatible?

Cant get my Matrox Millenium G200 AGP to run Q3 or Half Life. Using Win 98 and Powerdesk 5.55 with DirectX 4.07. DLed MS DirectX 7.0a and installed but G200 still shows DirectX4.07 and graphics BIOS version 2.6-20.
    Installed new Via Apollo MVP3 BIOS except for AGP drv as instructed. How do I upgrade to DirectX 5.0 or later in my G200?
    Thanks.

DirectX has little to do with Half-Life and even less with Q3. Both should work fine on the G200 in OpenGL.

If it says 4.07.blahblah then you already have DirectX 7. DirectX 8 has a version number of 4.08.00.0400.

Comment

I've run both Q3 and Half Life (and Startrek Elite force and Soldier of Fortune etc) on an 8meg G200. No probs. Gotta stay with 8x6 tho or it's a bit slow. I would also do what I have done, and use the 5.41 drivers and the 6.10 ICD. This is the fastest setup I can find. Also prevent powerdesk from loading at start up. I (and others here) loose a couple of fps if it is running. You can end task (ctrl-alt-del) or use one of several proggies to prevent it from loading at start up. I'm sure that there will be several other suggestions here as well, so just do what you find to be the best. If you want I can email you the 6.10 icd so you don't have to install 6.10, to get it then uninstall them and install 5.41 and copy it over. Just dl 5.41 from here(main page) then install it and copy over 6.10 icd to your /windows/system dir and overwrite the old one. I hope this is of use to you. Best of luck.

------------------
      AsusP3B-F,iCel466, 128mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
      Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Linknic, 1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I found that with my G200 I had to enable IRQ for VGA in the BIOS for it to work in OpenGL!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I installed GL using GLSETUP.exe and the sys brought up Q3 for 5 secs, heard the gun shots, the fatal errored to the blue screen. Whats up with that? Any ideas? Powerdesk is disabled at startup. Thank you.

Originally posted by Bohrn:
          I've run both Q3 and Half Life (and Startrek Elite force and Soldier of Fortune etc) on an 8meg G200. No probs. Gotta stay with 8x6 tho or it's a bit slow. I would also do what I have done, and use the 5.41 drivers and the 6.10 ICD. This is the fastest setup I can find. Also prevent powerdesk from loading at start up. I (and others here) loose a couple of fps if it is running. You can end task (ctrl-alt-del) or use one of several proggies to prevent it from loading at start up. I'm sure that there will be several other suggestions here as well, so just do what you find to be the best. If you want I can email you the 6.10 icd so you don't have to install 6.10, to get it then uninstall them and install 5.41 and copy it over. Just dl 5.41 from here(main page) then install it and copy over 6.10 icd to your /windows/system dir and overwrite the old one. I hope this is of use to you. Best of luck.

Comment

I installed GL using GLSETUP.exe and the sys brought up Q3 for 5 secs, heard the gun shots, the fatal errored to the blue screen. Whats up with that? Any ideas? Powerdesk is disabled at startup. Thank you.

Originally posted by fds:
            DirectX has little to do with Half-Life and even less with Q3. Both should work fine on the G200 in OpenGL.

If it says 4.07.blahblah then you already have DirectX 7. DirectX 8 has a version number of 4.08.00.0400.

Comment

There is NO setting to change my VGA IRQ from the motherboard BIOS...it is auto set anyways in the Win 98 software.

Originally posted by Guru:
              I found that with my G200 I had to enable IRQ for VGA in the BIOS for it to work in OpenGL!

Comment

Hi,

Do the following exactly as it's listed, even if you have already done some of the steps:

Download the 5.41(or even the ones before that, 5.21 worked great on my mvp3) drivers, download the 4in1 driver pack from Via, download the uninstall utility from Matrox, run the uninstall utility, reboot switch to standard Vga adapter and reboot, install the 4in1 driver pack in normal mode reboot and go into your bios and disable "read around write" save settings and exit, boot into windows and run the setup for Matrox's drivers, reboot and you should be up to speed.

Rags

Comment

Rags..thank you I followed your procedure exactly and now can launch Q3...one problem tho...I now CANT set my display settings to 1024x768 and am stuck at 800x 600. CAN set the display settings tho to 1152x864...at 1024x768 my screen goes black and then returns to the last setting 800x600. Whats causing my lock out from 1024x768 and how can I correct this? Thank you..I thought that the Matrox G200 AGP should be able to play this game...now for HalfLife?
                  PS-am using 5.41

Garrulous

Comment

That's strange, 1024 should work on a G200.go into display properties/advanced/monitor settings/adjust diferent display mode and adjust your settings in 1024X768 16bit and 32bit to where you want them, and save them for windows to use every time it asks, then try.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 24 November 2000).]

Comment

Oh, and HL should work just fine, I ran it often on my G200, just make sure you use conservative settings, and if Kruzin sees this, maybe he will post his cfg file to make it play somewhat better on your G200, I know it did for me.

Rags

Comment

Rags..yes that fixed it! Works fine now at 1024X768 at 16 bit high color! Just the sizing I need and had forgotten about the customizations for the video? How can I learn what you know? I know thats quite impossible but Id like to put myself on a pathway to knowledge with experience to solve something like this in the future? Do you know anywhere I cna find how to replace my toner cartridge powder cheap so i can do it myself? Thanks again---how can I help you?

Originally posted by Rags:
                        That's strange, 1024 should work on a G200.go into display properties/advanced/monitor settings/adjust diferent display mode and adjust your settings in 1024X768 16bit and 32bit to where you want them, and save them for windows to use every time it asks, then try.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 24 November 2000).]

Comment

DOes anyone know any sites where I can price an AMD Athlon T-Bird to 1 Ghz, Ge-Force DDR 64Mb ULTRA, and mb and SDRAM for a gaming machine? I am short on funds and need to keep the price down but need name brand reliability too! Thank you. All URL's welcone.

Originally posted by Rags:
                          Oh, and HL should work just fine, I ran it often on my G200, just make sure you use conservative settings, and if Kruzin sees this, maybe he will post his cfg file to make it play somewhat better on your G200, I know it did for me.

Rags

Comment

Great to hear it fixed your problems. If you want to learn more stuff, the best way is to just read through forums just like this. Another great way is to do just what you did. Ask if you have questions, I think that with the people here, you can get just about any question answered. For your other questions, post a new thread on the "General Hardware" forum, and I am sure you will get some replies there.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                            X