Win2K Pro: UT &3d game unstabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K Pro: UT &3d game unstabilities

I am having some stability with UT and other 3d FPS games since I switched from win98 to Win 2K Pro. Please no commentary on how Win 2K Pro is not a gaming OS, my switch to it had to do with familiarity and other work requirements (I had little choice). A nice part is that even when the game crashes it has only once taken Win2k with it.

Does anyone know of some good online resources to get tweaks/patches/etc. to make it more stable.

Thanks in advance.

Rocket_Bait
    Rocket_Bait
    Never met a high velocity explosive projectile that I didn't get in the way of!

have you tried installing DX8 yet, apparently it does wonders with Win2K
    electrons spin in two directions

Comment

Hey Rocket, Dakkon here. I'm not even going to begin to suggest that Win2000 isn't a gaming OS, cause I full heartedly feel that it is a perfectly suitable gaming OS. Anyway, thats not the primary concern at the moment obviously.

I suppose I would start with the normal gambit of stuff. Motherboard drivers, latest Matrox drivers, 428 UT patch (yes 428, 432 and 436 do some nasty things). I personally have never had any problem with SP1 so I would recomend at least trying installing it, you can always uninstall it. Also go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com using IE and download some of the various updates avaiable. Avoid IE 5.5 though. Definately get the 'software compatability update' I think it is called.

Of course also get DX8 as exciton suggested. I myself haven't noticed any performance difference yet having installed it, but it hasn't hurt anything either.

As for general Win2000 tweaks, try here http://arstechnica.com/tweak/os_software.html first. Look at everything under both NT and Win2000. Most of the stuff under NT applies to 2000 as well.

Then go here. www.tweak3d.net You should be able to find just about any tweak you could possibly concieve of on this site.

If you can't find anything between all that that stablizes your system, well, we'll just have to try a different tack I geuss.

Ian
      Dakkon
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Thanks exciton and Dakkon

I have installed DX8 (installed it right after putting in Win2K), SP1, and all the critical updates from MS. I am running UT 4.36, but the problems are not just in UT, but also in Q3A and the Rune demo (based on the UT engine, so back to UT). I haven't played TFC or CS since converting, but I will check on them as well. Mobo drivers are not the latest, so I could try that...hmm. I hate to flash it unless it is the last resort....bad history with power failure in the middle. Still using IE 5.0, I heard about the problems with 5.5 and the slowness of it and avoided like the plague. I am using a bet video driver from nvidia. Sorry, but for my gaming rig I am a fps whore and went to a Asus 6800 pure. When I want to do real work my G400 is still tops..so no flames please. I'll check the tweak3d site and see what I can get from there. I will also go to Asus site and get the release version of the vid driver and try that. Thanks for your help and ideas.

Rocket_Bait
        Rocket_Bait

Comment

Working...
        X